Advertisement

College research paper I wrote on procedural generation.

Started by December 28, 2011 11:47 PM
8 comments, last by Lode 12 years, 8 months ago
Here is the paper I wrote for my English class last semester. I strongly suggest reading it in PDF format. Also feedback would be greatly appreciated.
For some reason I cannot access the website even though online status checkers say it is up. Manual DNS override results in a 404 page that never loads. Is there a problem with the website or is it on my end?

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Advertisement
I like the subject of the paper. A few suggestions for it.

The title is unclear. I would change it from "Procedural Generation and the Future of Media Production" to something like
"Procedural Generation of Video Game Content and the Future of Media Production"

You don't need to state. "in my opinion" or "i think". It is implied it is your opinion because you wrote the paper.
You make a lot of authoritative statements and generalizations without backing it up. I would like to see examples and possibly some data. Find some games that use procedural generation of content and compare the number of those that do to those that don't. An example you could possibly include is the game tinywings. I know that the texture applied to the hills are generated. Find more examples and have more authoritative information in your paper.

I also think you need to make it clear the advantages and disadvantages of procedural generated content then discuss some ways to overcome the disadvantages

I would be interested to learn more about this subject. It would be cool if you could pull together a lot of information about procedural content.
My current game project Platform RPG

The title is unclear. I would change it from "Procedural Generation and the Future of Media Production" to something like
"Procedural Generation of Video Game Content and the Future of Media Production"
I agree this totally needs to be clarified. I strongly suggest to investigate your audience, some teachers will still classify anything citing "video games" as childish.
I've successfully used the expression "mainstream interactive entertainment products". It is pure academic BS but sometimes it is necessary to get it through the prejudice.
So that would be
"Procedural generation of content and future of media production for interactive entertainment products".

Check out your layout. First, justify text. Second, use bold, underline and italic. It just looks way too much like a blob of text. You want to avoid that.

Previously "Krohm"

For some reason I cannot access the website even though online status checkers say it is up. Manual DNS override results in a 404 page that never loads. Is there a problem with the website or is it on my end?

I assume the problem is on your end, however, the web host could have been temporally down. You should try again to be sure.

[quote name='HappyCoder' timestamp='1325140488' post='4897709']
I agree this totally needs to be clarified. I strongly suggest to investigate your audience, some teachers will still classify anything citing "video games" as childish.
I've successfully used the expression "mainstream interactive entertainment products". It is pure academic BS but sometimes it is necessary to get it through the prejudice.
So that would be
"Procedural generation of content and future of media production for interactive entertainment products".

Check out your layout. First, justify text. Second, use bold, underline and italic. It just looks way too much like a blob of text. You want to avoid that.
[/quote]

I like the subject of the paper. A few suggestions for it.

You don't need to state. "in my opinion" or "i think". It is implied it is your opinion because you wrote the paper.
You make a lot of authoritative statements and generalizations without backing it up. I would like to see examples and possibly some data. Find some games that use procedural generation of content and compare the number of those that do to those that don't. An example you could possibly include is the game tinywings. I know that the texture applied to the hills are generated. Find more examples and have more authoritative information in your paper.

I also think you need to make it clear the advantages and disadvantages of procedural generated content then discuss some ways to overcome the disadvantages

I would be interested to learn more about this subject. It would be cool if you could pull together a lot of information about procedural content.

Thanks for the feed back. The paper was in MLA format and I was not allowed to use any special formatting, however, now that I have finished the class I am free to make any changes I want.
Advertisement
Still down, however apparently my ISP is having caching issues which explains that. Would it be possible to host it on another website aswell, if not don't worry I'll just wait until I can access the website.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Still down, however apparently my ISP is having caching issues which explains that. Would it be possible to host it on another website aswell, if not don't worry I'll just wait until I can access the website.

try this link

[quote name='Bacterius' timestamp='1325178624' post='4897837']

try this link
[/quote]
Na it didn't work but it's all good I proxied it, reading it now...

I feel you should mention that procedural generation has become increasingly popular throughout the years not only because of the algorithmic improvements but because of the massive processing power increase in the recent years. Procedural content still needs to be generated somehow - even our modern CPU's take a while to synthetize a high-resolution volumetric procedural cloud, it takes a GPU to do that on the fly.

I think you could elaborate a little on the procedural planet example to put into perspective the advantages of procedural generation in a stronger way, something along the lines of: conventional polygonal models can only represent objects with so much accuracy, as you decrease your distance to the object it becomes increasingly obvious that the smooth curvy sphere observed a few metres away is in fact just a bunch of triangles stitched together. But procedural content can be generated (in general) to any degree of accuracy, being able to describe features, ranging from a mountain down to the tiny imperfections in a rock, at the same cost.

Minor point but there is a repetition of "basically", I usually use "essentially" as a replacement to avoid repetition.

These are just a few ideas, I'll post if I get any more feedback on your paper.

[quote name='HappyCoder' timestamp='1325140488' post='4897709']
So that would be

[/quote]

Depending on the school maybe the word "video game" isn't so good in there. If so, maybe something similar like "interactive environment", "virtual environment" or so...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement