Advertisement

School? I would not call it that way.

Started by November 30, 2011 06:16 AM
56 comments, last by way2lazy2care 12 years, 9 months ago
What's your point?

Poor teachers often are the types who resort to teaching because they couldn't hack it in the real world. You've offered nothing to counter that.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

What's your point?

Poor teachers often are the types who resort to teaching because they couldn't hack it in the real world. You've offered nothing to counter that.

The point being, is that its an independent skill set, not a tired old adage.

You've not proven anything except a contempt for a profession.
Advertisement
I never said teaching wasn't hard. I said a lot of bad teachers are also bad at the subject they teach.

Of course, you're welcome to be pointlessly combative about that statement for no apparent reason. No skin off my nose ;-)

I never said teaching wasn't hard. I said a lot of bad teachers are also bad at the subject they teach.

Of course, you're welcome to be pointlessly combative about that statement for no apparent reason. No skin off my nose ;-)

You're the one that used the "real world" argument in a way that indicated you don't consider teachers as a part of the real world. If you don't understand how words, written or spoken, can reveal an individual's persona, you might want to start looking into shoring that weakness up. I'm done with this other than to mark you can a rather terrible person in "the real world."

You're the one that used the "real world" argument in a way that indicated you don't consider teachers as a part of the real world.

We are not part of the 'real world' in the sense that ApochPiQ suggested. We don't have project deadlines. Nobody lives, dies or loses their job over the code we write. If we screw up, the students will either focus on other topics or learn differently later in life. And there are no standards for teaching CS, no review boards, and no particular incentive for us to improve our CS knowledge - there are no raises to be had, and we are relatively hard to fire.

[Disclaimer: I am speaking in generalities. While I do teach college-level CS courses, it isn't my primary job]

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

You're the one that used the "real world" argument in a way that indicated you don't consider teachers as a part of the real world. If you don't understand how words, written or spoken, can reveal an individual's persona, you might want to start looking into shoring that weakness up. I'm done with this other than to mark you can a rather terrible person in "the real world."

Seriously?

Oh no, someone on the internet read two sentences out of context and has decided I'm a horrible human being! How ever will I sleep at night!?

Just for future reference, being the kind of guy that leaps to baseless knee-jerk judgmental reactions is... unbecoming, to put it mildly. You might want to look into shoring that weakness up ;-)

Advertisement
I honestly didn't even know one could take cs in high school. Anyway, it is just as bad in college. You're going to have to learn to just ignore it and do the work no matter how stupid it is. If you correct a college teacher they may even kick you out of class.

If you correct a college teacher they may even kick you out of class.

If they kick you out of class after you correct them politely and respectfully, then you go straight to the department head, followed by the dean of students - it's exactly the kind of behaviour the dean of student's position exists to handle.

If they actually kicked you out for being an insufferable smart-ass, well, then you're on your own :P

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

If you correct a college teacher they may even kick you out of class.

To be fair, correcting a teacher in the middle of class is kind of a dick move. Like I and others have stated, the optimal solution for the language might not be the optimal solution for the lesson they are trying to teach at a certain point in development. It's also just not cool to call out your superiors in front of other people without addressing them first. I'm using superiors in the sense that socially superior at that point in time. It could be someone with an equal or lower social stature normally that is in a social situation where they are superior like people giving a speech or something.

Would be much better to write them an email after class. You can even do it in a way where you present them with evidence that makes them wrong without you saying they are wrong. "Hey professor, I just saw this article online, but it's not what you said in class. What's the best way to do this?"

STOP THE WAR!!!!!!!!!!

RIGHT NOW! C'mon people, you're all respected programmers, and civilized.

The kid's tone seems arrogant, and he questions questionable facts, therefore the agreement/disagreement.

Having had to deal with useless teachers myself, I'm going to assume this time, you're right in your description and that your teacher is in fact like you say, stupid: Guess what, welcome to real life.

In life you're going to find:
  • Teachers who are morons in high school
  • Teachers who you think are morons but are actually as smart or smarter than you with just a different opinion, and you can't see it; in high school
  • Teachers in high school that is a pleasure to learn from
  • Teachers who are morons in University
  • Teachers who you think are morons but are actually as smart or smarter than you with just a different opinion, and you can't see it; in University
  • Teachers in university that is a pleasure to learn from
  • Bosses who are morons; they not only tell you what they need you to do, they tell how to do it, what language to use, impose horrible programming practices and how you should work. They'll pay you; you'll need the money; you'll stick with them until you can find something better or he goes out of business
  • Bosses who you think are morons; they'll be actually very smart, probably smarter than you; they won't bother you every second on how you should work like the previous boss, but they'll impose you programming guidelines that are very good, but you're not comfortable following them since they don't suit your style
  • Bosses who are a pleasure to work with.That's life; it sucks, it's wonderful, sometimes it's in the middle. I've been in all of them, and so should all.

Try your best to see when _you_ are being the moron by not recognizing that someone is smarter than you with a different opinion; and learn how to turn that disagreement into harmony, making it a pleasant experience.

And learn how to recognize morons so you stay away. Yeah, I know, you can't switch to another teacher. It's really frustrating. It sucks, I know. But so does having to work for a moron because you need the money. Some are luckier, but if the world can't be changed, learn to deal with it.

It's already been mentioned, people who really care will learn by themselves. At some point anything a teacher says will seem limiting, because the subject is way broader than it seems.

I know it's irksome to go off topic here, but ASCII is a 7-bit code that has defined values only in the range 1..127.

The OP is technically correct in a prescriptive sense.

"ASCII", sometimes incorrectly known as "ANSI" to those US residents with a DOS/Windows programming background, is commonly used to refer to any and all methods of representing textual information as a sequence of integral values in computer storage media. This includes not only ASCII proper, but any of the ISO, MAC, or CP localized 8-bit character sets, and often many of the multibyte or wide character sets that predate Unicode. ASCII is often also used interchangably with the UTF-8 Unicode representation (just as Microsoft's UNICODE is often confused with Unicode).[/quote]
    While what you've said is spot on, I fail to see how a Kanji can fit in 128 different values, regardless of the character set. The OP thread was "any character of any alphabet"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement