🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Setting up git daemon

Started by
-1 comments, last by jjd 12 years, 7 months ago
Hi,

I am trying to set up a git daemon so that I can let people anonymously pull repos from my server. The problem is that every time I pull from the server I get the following message

$ git clone git://hostname/repo.git
Cloning into repo...
fatal: the remote end hung up unexpectedly

Note, this is not an issue with ssh keys because I can happily clone via ssh without any problem and the point of allowing this protocol through is so that users do not need to be authenticated. The problem seems to be the way I've setup inetd or something. inetd wasn't installed so I installed that and added the following line to /etc/inetd.conf

git stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/bin/git git daemon --inetd --verbose --export-all --base-path=/pub/repos

I also added a new rule to my router to allow tcp on port 9418, which corresponds to git in /etc/services.

At this point I believe that the server is just not letting the remote user connect, but I don't know how to test that. Does anyone have experience setting this up or have an suggestions on how to debug it?

-Josh

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement