Advertisement

English 111 research paper on procedural generation?

Started by October 30, 2011 09:11 AM
15 comments, last by _mark_ 12 years, 9 months ago
I'm taking English 111 and I am suppose to come up with a topic for my research paper. I would love to write a paper on procedural generation but I feel like perhaps this may be a bad idea given the nature of the class. I'm also required to use at least 75% material from text books which I believe may be a bit difficult with this topic. What do you guys think?
Texturing and Modeling: A Procedural Approach is the Bible for procedural generation development, so you would at least have the benefit of a text book from which to draw upon. I like the idea, but then procedural generation is one of my chief areas of interest so I might be biased.
Advertisement
Save the mathematical research for a math-related course. In my experience, in English courses - especially 100-level courses - you'll get much better mileage out of writing decent prose, particularly if you're decent at persuasive rhetoric. In general, if an English prof has to actually go through your bibliography and read your references to understand your paper, they're gonna dock you points, and rightfully so - the purpose of English courses is to learn to communicate generally, outside of domain specialties.

Of course, I may not be the best person to ask either, given my history with formal education :-)

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Save the mathematical research for a math-related course. In my experience, in English courses - especially 100-level courses - you'll get much better mileage out of writing decent prose, particularly if you're decent at persuasive rhetoric. In general, if an English prof has to actually go through your bibliography and read your references to understand your paper, they're gonna dock you points, and rightfully so - the purpose of English courses is to learn to communicate generally, outside of domain specialties.

Of course, I may not be the best person to ask either, given my history with formal education :-)

I was not going to really get into the math. I was thinking I should just go over various procedural generation approaches and how they can be used. Procedural planets, galaxies, animation, textures, and maybe even touch on generative music.
What's English 111?

Procedural generation is still a math-related course, regardless how you approach it. It's like talking about Artificial Intelligence to non-science people. Just the words themselves scream for math. They might understand a little bit here and there as they try to relate, but I doubt they can fully grasp the meaning of it.

What's English 111?

Procedural generation is still a math-related course, regardless how you approach it. It's like talking about Artificial Intelligence to non-science people. Just the words themselves scream for math. They might understand a little bit here and there as they try to relate, but I doubt they can fully grasp the meaning of it.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Can you think of another idea that would be a better choice?
Advertisement

[quote name='alnite' timestamp='1320039355' post='4878815']
What's English 111?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Can you think of another idea that would be a better choice?
[/quote]

You need to answer my question first "What's English 111?" before I can give you any suggestions biggrin.gif. Is it a writing class and you can talk about any topic?

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1320039498' post='4878818']
[quote name='alnite' timestamp='1320039355' post='4878815']
What's English 111?

[/quote]

You need to answer my question first "What's English 111?" before I can give you any suggestions biggrin.gif. Is it a writing class and you can talk about any topic?
[/quote]

Yes, that's exactly what it is. There were absolutely no guidelines for what we can and cannot research. However the teacher is a woman in her 50s.

I'm taking English 111 and I am suppose to come up with a topic for my research paper. I would love to write a paper on procedural generation but I feel like perhaps this may be a bad idea given the nature of the class. I'm also required to use at least 75% material from text books which I believe may be a bit difficult with this topic. What do you guys think?

Like 75% of your sources need to be text books or 75% of the paper has to come from textbooks. Sorry if I misunderstand, but the latter sounds completely insane.

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1319965867' post='4878521']

Like 75% of your sources need to be text books or 75% of the paper has to come from textbooks. Sorry if I misunderstand, but the latter sounds completely insane.
[/quote]

[color="#1c2837"]75% of the sources need to be text books...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement