Advertisement

Stupid noob? Does GCC do C++

Started by September 22, 2001 10:50 AM
11 comments, last by Dauntless 23 years ago
quote: Original post by Oluseyi
gcc is the front end to g++ and many other compilers.

Well, I didn''t want to overcomplicate things, and what I said was - well - oversimplificated and probably enough for most people. If you want to be anal: both gcc and g++ are front-ends to a bunch of different tools, namely:
- the preprocessor (cpp)
- the actual, versatile compiler (cc1)
- the assembler (as)
- the linker (ld/collect2)

Run `gcc -v --help` and `g++ -v --help` if you don''t believe me.

cu,
Prefect

One line of sourcecode says more than a thousand words.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
quote: Original post by Dauntless
Okay, I know it''s a stupid question, but I know that there is gcc, and g++. Does that mean that if I want to compile in the C++ language that I have to use g++?

And if so, where in the hell do I find it? I tried rpmfind.net but couldn''t find it. I did find a debian package for it, but I''m not sure if my mandrake or SuSe system can handle those.

Also, does anyone have experience with any of the IDE''s out there? I prefer gnome to KDE, so something that runs under gnome would be nice. And does anyone know if egcs is better than gcc or g++?

Thanks

First of all, your first assumption is right, if you want to compile C++ code, you have to use g++ which is a system default on any distro. For your information, g++ is part of the same package as gcc.

As for egcs, it is a pretty good compiler but I prefer sticking to gcc/g++. Now, as for your IDE question, use Anjuta. it''s one of the easiest IDE to use and it works on Gnome and KDE and all WMs. Although, if you prefer KDevelop, it does work on Gnome also and there are no penalties. Trust me, I''m a Gnome user also and it works just fine for me when I need it. Also, another good IDE although a bit hard to understand at first is EMACS. Ok, I hear you saying "but emacs is just a text editor", that''s true also but it has alot of functions that you find in good IDEs. Including syntax highliting, auto-indent, etc. I use it alot also. I guess I choose an IDE depending on my moods. Anyhow, hope this helps out...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
[Cyberdrek | ]
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Cyberdrek
....I hear you saying "but emacs is just a text editor"...

That''s a good point. Emacs is waaaay more than just a text editor; Emacs is a complete virtual environment, with integrated command-line, email capabilities, a complete help system and all the things Cyberdrek mentions. It takes a while to get used to it, but once you do it''s extremely powerful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement