Advertisement

The value of social networks

Started by August 20, 2011 03:47 PM
9 comments, last by Moe 13 years ago
I never really got into social networks even though my friends keep saying I should and all that. I mean, I just point out all those privacy issues social networks have and they normally stop bugging me about it. But lately, I have been "reconsidering" my view on them.

Right now I am finishing up my first game and looking at selling it. I know it's a good idea to use social networks as a company, but I was wondering if it would be beneficial to use them for me as an individual also. Just wondering what your thoughts are.
For a company it sounds like an excellent ideas. I never got into social networking myself. However, if I created a game and released it with its own facebook page I'd be sure to not have my own facebook account. Being directly linked to the success or failure of a game isn't a good idea. Look at EA for instance. When something fails on their side the company is blamed, not the person behind it.
Advertisement
I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!
Social networking sites without doubt is a good marketing tool. However, do not expect for people to "Like" or join your page when you just started. The best place to start is from your friends. If you don't have your own personal page with friends, how are you going to convince them to "Like" your new company page?
So maybe the best way would be to get my own page but not necessarily tie it with the company? Would it impact my customers at all with me being on a social network though? You said it would help me convince my friends but I guess I'm more concerned about other people. I can always get my friends to do anything. :)
I'm pretty much in the same position. For personal purposes, I fail to understand the usefulness. However I am 100% positive they are awesome marketing tools. Fan pages were in fact designed to allow products or services to be on FB as far as I understand and I think they're quite good.

Previously "Krohm"

Advertisement
For personal use, I can see value in making photos easily available to friends and family as well as quick news updates. But what does a company facebook page give you that a standard website doesn't? Even then, how do you get people coming back to your site regularly? What do you put up that's going to grab someone's attention and get them talking about with someone else?
I guess some people prefer to use facebook more than regular websites. So it brings more exposure I guess. I know what you mean about what exactly to put on it though. I'm thinking just regular updates to what you're doing and what you will be doing and anything else you can think of. Maybe concept art or screenshots too. Those are just my thoughts.

So maybe the best way would be to get my own page but not necessarily tie it with the company? Would it impact my customers at all with me being on a social network though? You said it would help me convince my friends but I guess I'm more concerned about other people. I can always get my friends to do anything. :)

It doesn't hurt for them to know that you are running the company. After all, that is public information. Look at any corporation, I guarantee that you can always get the names of the board of directors, CEO, CFOs, etc. If people can associate a face with the name, it will make your company feels more "friendly". Plus that your friends will know what you are doing and give support.
Hmm. Good point.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement