Advertisement

Preorders and Early Access for Indie Games

Started by August 16, 2011 06:03 PM
12 comments, last by GameCreator 13 years, 1 month ago
We're using our own IP but taking it in a different direction.

As far as the second question - because the free demo and previous IP is good? ;)
Community and Business Development Manager for Steel Storm
Also, if a game has lots of content packs (ala MTG) would a 50% for 2 years coupon be enticing as a preorder bonus?
Minecraft had the "free updates for life" promise (kinda similar idea) thrown in for alpha purchases, but it was removed for beta purchases. I'm pretty sure this led to a surge of sales right at the end of alpha.
Advertisement
Yeah, we're not Minecraft.

Think more what Starcraft 2 is doing but on a smaller scale (at least price wise)

We *want* to have a good price:content ratio
Community and Business Development Manager for Steel Storm

What makes you want to preorder or get early access to a game if an established brand is not attached (i.e. an indie game)?

Nothing. I've never pre-ordered a game that isn't a high-profile IP that has something I really want as a pre-order bonus. I don't pre-order just to get the game first thing on launch day any more as it's just not worth it, especially if the money is taken immediately when ordered.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

I've only ever pre-ordered Starcraft 2 because

• I was a fan of the first game
  • It allowed me to play the multiplayer in beta
  • It's a game I was really looking forward to and looked great in previews and videos
  • My friends were getting the beta too
  • I could pre-order it for $5 and supposedly I could cancel my order and get my money back if I didn't like the game
    I think if any three of those were missing, I probably would have waited.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement