Advertisement

Is there demand for a destructible environment system?

Started by August 15, 2011 07:26 PM
10 comments, last by way2lazy2care 13 years, 1 month ago
I wasn't really too sure where to post this, but recently I've started to finish up a destructible environment system for Unity3d and was wondering if there is any demand for such a system. The main thing about my system is that it doesn't involve the user setting up a lot of smaller meshes to be used later for simulating destruction. Do amateur programmers want/need this sort of system for their own games? I'm curious about the worth of such a system, and whether I should continue to develop the more advanced parts of it that I had planned.

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Whether people would find use for it would greatly depend on how well it worked and how nice it looks.

Got any vids or screens?
Advertisement
There are several games that have done that over the years, to varying success. For example, Caster had such a system where the avatar's main attack system was terrain deformation. The world took on the shape the player made it during combat. It was/is a very small niche game and the author has ported to a few other systems. The concept has been used in a few other small niche games as well, but that was the first I knew of that did a reasonably good job of it.
I have an initial demo, which is actually a bit old now, so you can check that out at my google site located here. People have recommended that I make a video, which I will do now actually, since this demo is a bit dated as well (I have a better verson of the system, this is only the first alpha). I would love to here initial impressions though.

Actually, contrary to what I thought, the system still has some issues in it that I am still not able to solve. I just tried some thinks to get prepped for a video, and it didn't quite work out the way I hoped. So I really doubt that a video will be coming along any time soon guys.

But does a moderately good system have any demand?

But does a moderately good system have any demand?

Havok Destruction exists. Not sure if it's used much. Also that dynamic molecular matter stuff was used in those Star Wars games. Not sure what the actual demand is really. A game really has to be designed around it sometimes or it ends up just being a quick graphics thing. Do you have demos of walls breaking to reveal impassable bars and such? Those kinds of effects would probably be appealing to a game developer that wants destructible stuff but wants it to be a toggle feature.
Advertisement
Yes, my system can be toggled on and off for specific structures. It can be left on for complete destructibility as well.

Unrelated, but you should remake your website. It's very scattered. It's half blog half company website, and it looks very off. The logo quality makes me really not want to download anything from the website.
Yea, I'll probably have to do that. Is it just the logo, or is there anything else? I'm actually in the process of moving from blog to google site.

Yea, I'll probably have to do that. Is it just the logo, or is there anything else? I'm actually in the process of moving from blog to google site.

It's hard to say because the logo drew my attention to a few other smaller things. The assortment of blog posts/news is kind of odd though. If it's not just a personal blog it would probably be worth it to split game strategies into a personal site and the other stuff on the site you have now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement