Advertisement

If you must choose only one of the two choices, progress and technique, which will you choose (of higher priority)?

Started by August 02, 2011 02:06 PM
11 comments, last by tom_mai78101 13 years ago
Of course technique without progress is meaningless.

My point was more that apparent progress built on a shoddy foundation will end up costing more in the long run than slightly less apparent progress built on solid technique.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Based on the followup, it seems like the question really should be:

---> Should I spend time learning theory (technique), or just dive in ignorantly to produce as much code as I can (progress)?

You need to understand the theory.

Without theory you can still imitate what you see, you can still learn by slogging through badly written code, but you cannot really understand what you are doing, or why you are doing it, and most importantly, you cannot readily create new things.

Learning theory takes time. Most people spend 3-4 years in a University setting. That is enough time on the theory to become an ENTRY LEVEL developer. Through your career you are expected to learn and develop your own skills. Theory doesn't change, which is the most useful part about it. The theory applies to all languages, from the lowest machine code through the latest experimental language.

Failure to understand theory means you spend your days behind the curve copying other people's work, and you become dead weight when the next language comes along.
Advertisement
Thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement