🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is it just me is or Memory getting really cheap?

Started by
0 comments, last by Ravyne 12 years, 9 months ago
I was thinking (not so much thinking now since its so cheap) about upgrading the ram on my PC from 8 GB to 12, but after seeing how cheap memory is now I think Iama go straight for 16, I dont know if its just me
but werent the prices for a 2gb stick like at 50$ just a year and a half ago?

Now I see stuff like this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=364588&csid=_21
6 x 4gb (24gb) DDR3 for 230$? I hope the quality doesn't suffering.

But anyhow basically it got me thinking are there any history of computer prices through the years? Id be interested in seeing how speed/quality/cost has changed over the year.
Advertisement
Remember, on the earliest come computers it would cost around the price of the default 8 or 16 Kb configuration to max out the machine at a full 64k.

The price of ram is at an all-time low in terms of $/GB, which is great. its around $10/GB these days, and that makes it, by far, the single best investment you can make in your hardware, particularly with the caching that Windows has done in Vista and 7. Single, 8GB dimms are still pricey though, and almost impossible to find in non-server, non-ECC variations, so unfortunately you can really only put 16-24GB onto a consumer-grade motherboard, practically.

I'm about to upgrade my hardware this month, I'd do 32GB if it was possible/reasonable but I'll probably end up with 16 since I haven't seen an AM3+ board with more than 4 dimm slots.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement