Advertisement

Need help with classic adventure games (backgrounds and ideas in particular)

Started by July 24, 2011 01:17 PM
3 comments, last by RoyCHill 13 years, 1 month ago
Hey, community. The following might seem slightly obscure, but the idea itself is of a serious sort.

I want to create a boy-rescuing-girl type of music video from old adventures games (around 5 minutes total). My idea is to use backgrounds from classic 8-bit games (the Larrys, Monkey Islands, Zak McKracken, Kings Quests, Maniac Mansion, etc) and add my own characters into various contexts. The catch is I don't necessarily own or have even played all of the games in the past, which creates a bit of a problem:

I need background shots from games without any characters on them (anyone know a repository of some sort? Could some people go to the trouble of taking their favourite screenshots and sending them to me/posting them here? I could actually remove the characters pretty easily if two different screenshots were available with the characters at different locations).

If the former is a bit too going-out-of-one's-way-y, any specific ideas for scene backgrounds would also be very awesome.

I would actually like to include some classic characters (LeChuck, the evil scientist in Maniac Mansion, the library lady rolling on her chair from Monkey Island 2, etc) in the video, which also implies some frapsing or obtaining video footage from elsewhere. Once again, the problems are ideas for scenes and precise locations where classic moments can be found in games. If you could list your favourites, I'd appreciate it a lot!

My idea is to use just backgrounds 80% of the time with my own characters added to the scene, but the characters would occasionally meet famous NPCs from classic games.

The idea is not to step on copyright here - the video would be non-commercial and be uploaded directly to Youtube.

Here's a very brief outline for the story that I have in mind:

Boy and Girl are standing next to each other, eg the left- and rightmost characters here:

maniac_mansion_deluxe_1_m.jpg

The Boy starts to pay the Girl a compliment. He's shy so it takes him some time, but just before he's about to say something perfect, the Girl is abducted by an Evil Madman™. The video then becomes a quest for the Boy to find Girl as he keeps looking for her all over the place, travelling from game to game.

3rd act, he finds her, rescues her in the nick of time and as a final image they kiss and live happily ever after.

Very lean and simple.

So yeah - I hope the description was clear, so any ideas/screenshots you can contribute would be very cool (even if it's just a link or something like "the hand puzzle dude scene in Monkey Island 2 is awesome") :)
Really? So few old school adventure fans? :)
Advertisement
Not much of an idea but ... don't forget to include a 3 headed monkey :)

Not much of an idea but ... don't forget to include a 3 headed monkey :)

Haha - good one, I'd forgotten about that!
watch out for the intellectual property vultures.

Just do not brag about making a game with 15 moons orbiting a planet of scantly dressed women.
General Studies A.S - College of Southern Nevada 2003 GPA 2.3

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement