Advertisement

The Supreme Court Decision on Violent Video Game Law

Started by June 27, 2011 02:46 PM
13 comments, last by mumbo 13 years, 2 months ago
As you can see here, the California law that would have restricted the sale of violent video games (defined as any that allows the player the choice to kill, maim, dismember, or sexually assault an image of a human being) to children, and would require that these games have a label on them specifying that the game is a violent video game. I personally was not surprised by this law being struck down (it does seem to be an infringement on free speech) but, do believe that it isn't entirely unreasonable. I am more curious to here what your thoughts are on this new development (both inside and outside of the industry).

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

So the law would be to have a label on the games? Sounds a bit pointless to me, like a label is gonna do anything. No wonder it was struck down.

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

Advertisement
Games like that already have a label on them....that is what the rating on the game box is for.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

Journal:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/908-xxchesters-blog/

Portfolio:

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

Company:

www.gwnp.ca

Children acquiring "bad" video games falls into one of two categories: kids getting ahold of stuff they're not supposed to, and kids getting presents from idiot parents.

Legislation cannot fix either.

Kids will always get ahold of stuff they aren't supposed to have; they've been doing it since the beginning of time, and that'll never change. Hell, half the fun of growing up is seeing what you can sneakily get away with smile.gif

As for parents buying their kids the games... well, that's just stupidity on the parents' part, and you can't ban stupid. We'd lose the primary constituents of the country if we made being an idiot illegal.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I can't imagine the government could do anything more sensible than what retail stores and the industry have already done.

A voluntary rating system, and not allowing minors to purchase mature games.

I get the feeling that people are too lazy to be parents so they hope the government will do it for them. That's not going to work...
Out of curiosity, has anyone proved that violent video games have an impact on psychology? I've seen arguments from both sides......

Advertisement
Out of curiosity, has anyone proved that violent video games have an impact on psychology? I've seen arguments from both sides......

The thing with proof is that depending on how you look for it you can always prove what you want to prove. Philosophically speaking I believe we humans are incapable of true objective proof. There's always an angle we are trying to accomplish with said proof and as such I believe we will always skew results, even if unintentionally, in favor of what we are trying to accomplish. In the end, que sera, sera.
Always strive to be better than yourself.

A few weeks ago I believe it was I saw in the news a study that showed that some users of violent video games had very little change in brain activity that was being monitored compared to a football game (FIFA) which had a few massive spikes.
Having followed the court case carefully and having read all the ruling all the way through, I agree with the court on this one, and I am not surprised.

The state was claiming they were doing this for the children. Think of the children.

The lowest court discounted the argument for several reasons. Among them was that they were singling out video games. Another was that they were creating a new class of unprotected speech. They said the law was unconstitutional.

The appeal's court agreed, and said the law was unconstitutional.

Finally the SCOTUS heard it, and they also agreed that it was unconstitutional.

They have two points in their argument. The first is that this is communicative speech, which is protected. The second is that they are singling out the one industry. Here's one quote:

Since California has declined to restrict those other media, e.g., Saturday morning cartoons, its video-game regulation is wildly underinclusive, raising serious doubts about whether the State is pursuing the interest it invokes or is instead disfavoring a particular speaker or viewpoint. ... The video-game industry’s voluntary rating system already accomplishes [parental controls] to a large extent. [/quote]

California only restricted the sale and rental of games. If they were really trying to protect the children, they should have implemented the law against all media: movie tickets, DVD sales and rental, obscene music, and more. When they were passing the law their own entertainment industries worked hard to keep it from regulating them. The double-standard was the second half of the reason for throwing it out.

If they had done this as a broad all-media restriction, they would have had a much stronger court case. However, they would have also had a weaker case for the first prong of their free speech protection.

If the were serious about it they would have, and should have (as discussed many times before) had an all-inclusive restriction against extreme levels of violence. The bar for limiting the sale would need to be extremely high given the huge body of existing work, but they could do it. They could probably institute such a restriction if it were carefully crafted across all media and focused on material that is primarily focused on gratuitous violence with no other message or communicative intent, and the court opinion still left room for such a restriction, but I doubt any state will attempt it. It would restrict such a minuscule number of works that they would have difficulty showing a compelling need. The court stated that even though the extremely violent games were offensive to most reasonable people, they still had communicative aspects.

Even the dissenting opinions said that it was the parent's job to protect the children, not the state's.
I find it a bit amusing (still) that Arnold Scharzenneger was the guy who signed this law, considering that he's got a good amount of violent movies.....ironic, yes?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement