Advertisement

Please help me find the name of this north american comedian!

Started by June 20, 2011 09:45 PM
6 comments, last by Khaiy 13 years, 2 months ago
Recently while travelling in south america I heard an stand up comedian from the US on someones ipod, despite asking the guy whose ipod it was the name of the comedian I have since forgotten, so now I am trying to find the name of this comedian, but my google skills are just not up to the job. So if anyone knows who this guy is, please help me - it's killing me!

This is the one sketch that sticks in my mind the most:

The guy is talking about banks, and how they punished him for not having enough money.
He didn't have any money going into his account so they charged him,
After a while he still had no money going into his account so they charged him again, this took him below zero
So now he has less than no money, if someone offers him something for free he can't afford it, it's beyond his means
Then he goes on to lament that if you have lots of money, banks will give you more

I promise it was a lot funnier than I've paraphrased here :) If anyone recognises this sketch, please put me out of my misery with the name of this comedian!
Thanks in advance!

Recently while travelling in south america I heard an stand up comedian from the US on someones ipod, despite asking the guy whose ipod it was the name of the comedian I have since forgotten, so now I am trying to find the name of this comedian, but my google skills are just not up to the job. So if anyone knows who this guy is, please help me - it's killing me!

This is the one sketch that sticks in my mind the most:

The guy is talking about banks, and how they punished him for not having enough money.
He didn't have any money going into his account so they charged him,
After a while he still had no money going into his account so they charged him again, this took him below zero
So now he has less than no money, if someone offers him something for free he can't afford it, it's beyond his means
Then he goes on to lament that if you have lots of money, banks will give you more

I promise it was a lot funnier than I've paraphrased here :) If anyone recognises this sketch, please put me out of my misery with the name of this comedian!
Thanks in advance!

Maybe Louis CK?

http://tinyurl.com/42odeod
Advertisement
Yep that's the one! Many thanks!
because it's a business / checking account? here in Malaysia most bank will charge your business ac R M 10 or rm 20 per month (i forgot actual value) if it has than RM 1000 in it. it will also charge you if it has no activity once in every month.

so if your business is in a situation where there's lac of money in you ac (client havent pay yet, etc) then you will see whatever balance in it get deducted...

because it's a business / checking account? here in Malaysia most bank will charge your business ac R M 10 or rm 20 per month (i forgot actual value) if it has than RM 1000 in it. it will also charge you if it has no activity once in every month.

so if your business is in a situation where there's lac of money in you ac (client havent pay yet, etc) then you will see whatever balance in it get deducted...

Most personal accounts in the states have fees unless you have direct deposit or a certain amount of money in the bank. Both of which you're less likely to have if you're on the lower end of the income scale. The more money you have, the more likely banks are to waive certain fees, and the more interest they pay you on your deposits.

Banks definitely make a lot of money off of the poor, especially when it comes to things like overdraft fees. Back when I was a struggling programmer, I got bit by that more than once. They arrange the deposits to come out of your account in order to maximize the number of overdrafts. For instance, this was a real scenario I encountered.

Starting balance: $920
Wednesday:
Coffee: $2
Lunch: $8
Ending balance: $910

Thursday:
Steam Game: $10
Lunch: $10
Dinner: $20
Ending balance: $870

Friday:
Rent: $900
Gas in car: $50
Ending balance: -$80

Logically I should have incurred one, maybe two overdraft fees. However the bank rearranged my charges to the following order:
Starting Balance = $920

Item Amount Balance
Rent $900 $20
Gas $50 -$30
Dinner $20 -$50
Lunch $10 -$60
Steam $10 -$70
Lunch $8 -$78
Coffee $2 -$80
Overdraft $35 -$115
Overdraft $35 -$150
Overdraft $35 -$185
Overdraft $35 -$220
Overdraft $35 -$255
Overdraft $35 -$290

Edit: I give up... GDNet code sections are terrible.

[font="Arial"]Yes, even items that were paid a full two days and showed cleared on my account were somehow pushed to after my rent payment. Because of that, I incurred not two, but six overdraft fees totaling $210. That's pretty damn hard to recover from when you're living paycheck to paycheck.[/font]
Whoa - that daylight robbery. I encounter a few of that type too, which if I go to court, I should have won, since they lie on the phone, and most phone conversation are recorded with "to improve & ensure customer best experience". The problem is that it's in the cents per month, so it's not worth it to lose the hour and transportation cost, etc.

But reading the 'round robin' in an old hacking book, I know what the bank is doing - acting as if customer are not reading the fine print. they might rectify you if you complain, but make it not worth your while to do it. but by doing it to a large number of customer, they're getting a lot of money. angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif
Advertisement

Whoa - that daylight robbery. I encounter a few of that type too, which if I go to court, I should have won, since they lie on the phone, and most phone conversation are recorded with "to improve & ensure customer best experience". The problem is that it's in the cents per month, so it's not worth it to lose the hour and transportation cost, etc.

But reading the 'round robin' in an old hacking book, I know what the bank is doing - acting as if customer are not reading the fine print. they might rectify you if you complain, but make it not worth your while to do it. but by doing it to a large number of customer, they're getting a lot of money. angry.gif angry.gif angry.gif

Yes, overdraft fees are good money. It's a multi-billion dollar industry. Based on what I've read, overdraft fees pull in roughly twice what the entire gaming industry does in a year.
They can't do it that way anymore, thankfully. It took lots of threats and some congressional action, but now they process charges smallest to largest, rather than the delightfully evil way they nailed you.

-------R.I.P.-------

Selective Quote

~Too Late - Too Soon~

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement