Advertisement

How publishers could save costs.

Started by May 07, 2011 07:18 AM
18 comments, last by ddn3 13 years, 4 months ago
Not ALL games directly compete though. For instance drakes fortune vs MW. Nobody is going to steal players in that battle for either of those games.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims

Not ALL games directly compete though. For instance drakes fortune vs MW. Nobody is going to steal players in that battle for either of those games.

Really, saving those 500$
[/quote]
Depends what the model is. I got a quote from a company that wanted 10 grand just for a character model with no bones, just the geometry. Yea insane right?

Advertisement
You don't just buy a Hind model and chuck it in your game. You need an art director to assess it to ensure it fits stylisticly, and a tech-artist to ensure it fits the tech requirements,
So someone downloads blueprints of a hind and models it. They are going to be the same, there is no style if your going for realism. The texturing can be different but I've never played a game and gone: man that Humvee looks way different than any other game. And tech requirements are basically going to be the same on vehicles.[/quote]Yeah I guess all those people in lead and direction roles don't actually do anything at all. I guess there are no internal quality controls or processes for giving and acting on both technical and stylistic feedback within the art group. I guess everyone ignores their project's art bible.

Ironically, there's a lot more to art assets than how they look on the screen.
What makes their art different anyway? I guarantee that if you take a snapshot from both of those upcoming games you wouldn't be able to say which one is which. (other than BF's horrible looking trees if they still have them). People will pay for 2 versions of the same game because thats all we do pay for in series games.

I can tell:

http://ps3xboxreviews.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/black-ops-multiplayer.jpg

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/116/1160630/battlefield-3-20110408004714669.jpg

Battlefield looks way more polished/cleaner. In motion it's barely even comparable.
My bad, I meant just looking at a single in game asset, not a full scene. Imaging snapshot a vehicle and then photoshop its context out and you just a model that nobody will know where if its a re-used asset or not.

My bad, I meant just looking at a single in game asset, not a full scene. Imaging snapshot a vehicle and then photoshop its context out and you just a model that nobody will know where if its a re-used asset or not.

i think people would notice.

i notice sound effects on tv which have been ripped from computer games.
I think if you were rolling around in a tank in BF3 which came from another similar game you would know.

Modders would know for sure if something was coming from another game. Still havent covered the technical problem of porting content. Most formats are non standard and must be built to match what the engine can handle.

I think your simplifying the problem. There are many angles to this.
Advertisement
Creating content is indeed a source of cost for game development but not a major risk. Getting competent artists is actually very easy, just offer the right compensation and you can get the best in the business. Reusing assets? The cost of buying / procuring an asset, reskining it for your proprietary (its always proprietary ) engine, getting it into the pipeline and getting it to match the "look and feel" of the game, by that time you might as well have created it from scratch. Artists like most people take pride in their work and highly skilled artists, given "grunt" job of importing and reskinning artwork created by others on another project, demotivates them, leading to mediocre work in the long run..

The major risk factor for games isn't art content, it's design and programming. Design if the game isn't any fun.. and programming if the game is too ambitious for the programming team..That's what causes the multi-year delays.. not because an artist couldn't complete a helicopter model on time.. Unlike design or programming, you can staff up on artists and increase the output..

-ddn
I hope in the future we do share assets.

Creating AAA content is a huge problem with huge costs. If we could mitigate those costs by sharing assets that would be great. The industry could start creating standardized formats that all studios use to bring assets in their baked form into games. Adding new features to your content involved simple extensions.

Reskining or restylizing content would be a job for middle ware tool companies to solve. An entire subindustry could be born to fit that need.

I wouldn't have to spend so much of my day writing custom exporters to get new features into our engine and artists could share strong tools.

Currently, the industry does buy a lot of textures because why spend an artists hour making a rock texture for when its cheaper to buy it for 50.00. I don't see any reason why the same can't be applied for meshes and if you want style then allow the artist to retopologize it or sculpt details.

I hope it does happen because its such a crunch to even get 8 hours worth of art content in two years and with higher texture and poly counts it will only get harder.

-= Dave
Graphics Programmer - Ready At Dawn Studios
[Edit]Also, because outsourcing is somewhat common, there's been some stupid incidents where dev's have been accused of plagiarism by the public, because modders have found identical assets in different games, which goes to show asset re-use by different companies does occur somewhat.

Case point.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad
Games whose look and feel are similar ie current world photo realistic, yes it's very common for them to import objects from previous iterations of their games or similar games (they own), but this is pretty rare between games. U couldn't use GTA 4 assets in RDR2 even though they use the same engine for example (there is no overlap).. There is something called procedural content creation where people try to parametrize content and make it "reconfigurable".. For instance algorithmic texturing technology of Allegorithmic.. There are a few others too i think.. As others mentioned, out source companies usually use a library of content which they re-sell to others, that's their business but the quality isn't usually up to the same standards of the internal studios and they are usually used to fill out spaces..

-ddn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement