Advertisement

What do you do when faced with a inconsiderate driver?

Started by May 03, 2011 10:50 AM
8 comments, last by ChaosEngine 13 years, 4 months ago
I was driving back from a Drs appointment earlier this morning when I reached a fairly large round about with 4 lanes. I was in the correct lane to go where I wanted, however, to my right was a lorry who wanted to be in my lane but had gone into the wrong lane. His lane was stopped at traffic light so he decided to pull out, luckily he stopped and missed hitting me by inches.

I didn't even have time to give him a toot of my horn to let him know I was there (I know lorries have large blind spots). I swore a lot though resisted the urge to open my window and let him know how annoyed I was.

I think I acted appropriately and didn't give in to the rage, though I admit I could do with a new car courtesy of my insurance.

How would you the venerable members of Gamdev have acted? Would you have kept your cool, swore a bit but ultimately got over it? Or would you have leapt from you vehicle of choice climbed into the cab of said lorry and used the steering wheel to give him some percussive education?

Yes, I'm off work and am very very bored.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared, to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heartrending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his training shoes.
I would have ignited my car and driven over a herd of little kittens...
Advertisement

I would have ignited my car and driven over a herd of little kittens...

Harsh but fair

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared, to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heartrending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottom of his training shoes.
I usually wind my window down and then flip them the bird. Probably a stupid thing to do because one day I might run into somebody bigger and uglier than myself ;)

It is exciting though.
I was hoping this topic was about blue-screens... tongue.gif
Advertisement
What do you do when faced with a inconsiderate driver?[/quote]
Engage defensive driving and hope for the best. There is no time for venting in those situations. I don't get why some people instinctively reach for the horn, as opposed to stary focused on keeping the situation under control.

So what you did is good, I think.

I think I acted appropriately and didn't give in to the rage, though I admit I could do with a new car courtesy of my insurance.[/quote]

No, you really don't want that. Were you wearing a seat belt? If not, you'd definitely not want that.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad
I've gradually learned to accept inconsiderate and horrible drivers.

I typically see people run through red lights if they don't see any immediate traffic. Stop signs are viewed as slow down. Pulling out in the middle of the road from a driveway is the norm around here. Expect to be cut off if you leave more than 2 ft between you and the car infront of you. God forbid that you don't block the intersection on a green light because traffic past the light is at a standstill.

The great thing about it is that when they almost run you off the road, they're the one blowing the horn and giving you the finger.

I really need to move away from the NYC metro area...

I've gradually learned to accept inconsiderate and horrible drivers.

I typically see people run through red lights if they don't see any immediate traffic. Stop signs are viewed as slow down. Pulling out in the middle of the road from a driveway is the norm around here. Expect to be cut off if you leave more than 2 ft between you and the car infront of you. God forbid that you don't block the intersection on a green light because traffic past the light is at a standstill.

The great thing about it is that when they almost run you off the road, they're the one blowing the horn and giving you the finger.

I really need to move away from the NYC metro area...

Sound similar to when I used to live in central London. Driving back to work at around midnight could be very emotional, I've even seen people go the wrong way round a roundabout, buses that try and bully you out of the way and people who think they can do what they like because they drive expensive cars.

Used to make me laugh when people would pile onto a junction and then get stuck there when the lights change as in london some junction are marked with a yellow has so if you're on there after the light change to get a fine through the post.

Swear loudly and profusely at them.

I know they can't hear me, but it lets me vent, and then I get to wherever I'm going and don't take it out on people who are not responsible.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement