Advertisement

How long is first Doom?

Started by March 19, 2011 03:35 PM
15 comments, last by Daaark 13 years, 5 months ago

It means after I complete one episode, I have to chose new game and play other episode? Got it

Yup, they're all basically standalone. While the first episode is my favorite, you haven't even gotten to "the good stuff" :). The last levels of the other two episodes are classic.

Glad to see someone checking out DOOM, even though it's really old now. I recently started going through Quake, which is the one I missed back in the day, and it just doesn't seem to hold up as well as DOOM does. But I've basically had some form of DOOM installed and ready to play continuously since 1993, so I might be biased.

It is shorter than modern games though, it just used to be games didn't have to be 24 hours long.

[quote name='kaktusas2598' timestamp='1300553760' post='4787980']
It means after I complete one episode, I have to chose new game and play other episode? Got it

Yup, they're all basically standalone. While the first episode is my favorite, you haven't even gotten to "the good stuff" :). The last levels of the other two episodes are classic.

Glad to see someone checking out DOOM, even though it's really old now. I recently started going through Quake, which is the one I missed back in the day, and it just doesn't seem to hold up as well as DOOM does. But I've basically had some form of DOOM installed and ready to play continuously since 1993, so I might be biased.

It is shorter than modern games though, it just used to be games didn't have to be 24 hours long.
[/quote]

Yeap, I realize that old games still rocks, and if i want to be game programmer I must know how games looked in past, then I'll beat Doom, I will buy Wolfensten 3D ;)

Deltron Zero and Automator.

Advertisement
It's a rare phenomenon, but Doom II was actually superior to the original in terms of level design. Play through it on Ultraviolence difficulty. There were some seriously wicked-awesome levels, like #16 The Suburbs (my personal favorite). For a challenge, I actually played through the game starting each level with just a pistol (warp cheat to each level from a clean new game). I also played through it without ever loading a save game except at the start of a session, so I had to live with my errors.
Doom II was definitely my favourite too. The variety of monsters was great although to be honest I normally played with cheats on.
Yeah, good old DOOM... And Heretic, and Hexen... Great stuff. Even better with lan coop :D Brings back memories. Just a few lines of text of backstory was required then to make a great game. A few cool designs, some art and POW - long hours lost in front of your old 486. Where did all that go? Or maybe it just got strangled by better and larger CPU's and GPU's?
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)

Yeah, good old DOOM... And Heretic, and Hexen... Great stuff. Even better with lan coop biggrin.png Brings back memories. Just a few lines of text of backstory was required then to make a great game. A few cool designs, some art and POW - long hours lost in front of your old 486. Where did all that go? Or maybe it just got strangled by better and larger CPU's and GPU's?

It all ended when people realized that what was stronger than a game with great cover art was a game that had the actual game graphics as good as the cover art. We are visual (80% of society is). Whatever looks good we believe is also good. We attribute good qualities to whatever looks good as it's hard to fake, or at least it was hard to fake. Meaning that it once was a good measure for what is inherently good genetics, good food, good reproductile possibility, intelligence or as in our case good gameplay ;-)

Now that anyone and his grandmother can pick up the Unreal engine and make a game look great, it doesn't necessarily mean good gameplay.

Pablo

Advertisement

Yeah, good old DOOM... And Heretic, and Hexen... Great stuff. Even better with lan coop :D Brings back memories.
Yes, Co-op. I remember we had to have a long serial cable, and lug around another box to get them close enough to hook up together. Than it was time for DOOM 2 and Duke Nukem 3D. But Duke 3D would always go out of sync and crash.

My Doom 2 floppies went bad (No one has a floppy drive anyways), and all I have left anymore is my CD of FINAL DOOM, which is highly inferior. I modded Doom 2 for years.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement