Advertisement

Tools/advise for non-artist?

Started by March 17, 2011 02:56 PM
4 comments, last by enunes 13 years, 6 months ago
Hi,

I'm a programmer, not an artist, but I'm trying to put together some design sketches/blueprints/concept art so I can get the ideas for an oil platform level across to the other guys on the team, especially the artist who will have to actually draw the art for the level.

So, I'm wondering if theres any good tools avilable to make this easier on a non-artist. For example, something to throw together floor-plan concepts or a super-super-easy modelling program so I can make a simple oil rig in the design that I'm thinking. Does anything like this exist? (Blender and the like are a bit to sophisticated for me at the moment).

Or, alternatively, does anybody have any advise or ideas that may help?

Thanks!
Easy to use prog for 3d drafting - Google SketchUp

Free 2d CAD software - DraftSight

Admittedly, Inkscape should work pretty well too :)
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Advertisement
Great, thanks! I'm trying Google SketchUp right now and it seems nice and easy to work with so far. I'll have a look at DrawtSight later. I hadn't considered using Inkscape, but you're right, that may well do it too.

Thanks for the suggestions, very helpful.
The only downfall of SketchUp is that you need the Pro version to use the Solid Tools, which is where the real power of using that type of software comes into play :P
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
I personally use Wings3D a lot for (place holder) models.
Not as a recommendation, but for graphics I still use Paint Shop Pro 5, which by now is probably around 15 years old. But it has all the features I need. :)

I personally use Wings3D a lot for (place holder) models.

I was just going to recommend that. I use Wings3D too and find it pretty easy :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement