🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Limited much ?

Started by
0 comments, last by LilBudyWizer 13 years, 3 months ago
Hello.

I have the next spec: Motherboard P5G41T-M LX, Processor E5400 (800Mhz FSB) 2.7Ghz frecvency and 2Gb of DDR3 RAM. The maine problem of the mainboard is that I have PCI Express x16 v 1.0.

I want to buy a new video card, Palit Geforce GTS 450 or GTS 460 with 1Gb of VRAM and I have 2 questions:

1. How much the PCI Express 1.0 and my E5400 will limit the performance of the new video card (if it will limit it). I dont want numbers just an idea if it is a big difference between PCI Express 1.0 and 2.0 and if my CPU is not as good for the card.

2. What "128 bits memory / 256 bits memory" stands for. I mean I can search for some theory but I was searching for a more practical example or much closer. I understand that through the PCI Express port some textures usually are transfered if the VRAM is too small and cant keep all textures. But what about the memory width ?

Advertisement
PCI Express 1.0 and 1.1 is a very significant bottleneck. You definitely want PCI Express 2.0 or higher. 128 bit versus 256 bit and such is the width of the data path into memory. How many bits are transferred in a single access. Reviews are far more practical to use. Places like Tom's Hardware, AnandTech and Guru3D benchmark cards using games and present the results with other cards they have benchmarked with the same build/games. The 550 Ti just came out which is in the price range those reviews will give you a good idea what your choices are in that price point. The 550 Ti itself got slammed for not enough bang for the buck so I'm not recommending it, just that since it is in the same price point the articles are particularly relevant.

PS: The memory is internal to the card. It is between the processors and memory on the card. If you do a search on like GF104 Architecture, or whatever relevant processor, you can find some fairly detailed explainations of logically how the cards work.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement