Advertisement

Leaving the IT Industry

Started by February 18, 2011 06:39 PM
12 comments, last by AndyEsser 13 years, 6 months ago
I know of one guy who was a Landscape Gardener and became a programmer, it works both ways ;)

[quote name='Luckless' timestamp='1298081352' post='4776178']
I know a handful of people who have left the game development industry (most to other software sectors, a who have completely gotten away from software, and one who is now a blacksmith. Honestly, I'm thinking of following that last guy's path.)

LOL...who leaves the game industry and becomes a blacksmith? Sounds like he wanted to become one of his video game characters.

[/quote]

After sitting on your arse staring at a computer screen in an office for years, manual trade and the outdoors look appealing. I know one of the local cider producer used to be a programmer as well.

Midlife crisis and all that.

Everything is better with Metal.

Advertisement

[quote name='Luckless' timestamp='1298081352' post='4776178']
I know a handful of people who have left the game development industry (most to other software sectors, a who have completely gotten away from software, and one who is now a blacksmith. Honestly, I'm thinking of following that last guy's path.)

LOL...who leaves the game industry and becomes a blacksmith? Sounds like he wanted to become one of his video game characters.

[/quote]

The short story behind it was that he was working insane hours for crap pay at a struggling startup company. He and his wife had a child, and after nearly a year of barely being home he just said enough is enough. His wife went back to work, and he stayed home with the kid. He had the hobby of blacksmithing since he was a teen.

He stays at home, works on art when he can, but otherwise takes care of the house. In a good month he can actually make more as a blacksmith than he did programming, and 'works' far fewer hours. However much of the time is actually spent with sketch books and such while doing other things, so the hours are really very skewed.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

He stays at home, works on art when he can, but otherwise takes care of the house. In a good month he can actually make more as a blacksmith than he did programming, and 'works' far fewer hours. However much of the time is actually spent with sketch books and such while doing other things, so the hours are really very skewed.

I so want to become a blacksmith!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement