🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

FMV playback

Started by
2 comments, last by subi211 13 years, 4 months ago
I'm trying to write movie playback into my engine, and I started with avifile, as per the NeHe example, but it has a few issues. Currently it either refuses to decode files at all because the codec isn't installed, or thinks the file is missing a picture start code.

Seeing as avifile ceased development five years ago, is there anything newer that people use these days?
Advertisement
Perhaps ffmpeg's libavformat and libavcodec would work?
The most common libraries for media playback under Linux (I can not speak for the Unixes) are ffmpeg and gstreamer. If you aim to cover the spectrum of hardware Linux runs on (especially tablets, phones, netbooks, and so on) you need to stick to gstreamer because that's the only media playback library that gets love from hardware acceleration (if any) present.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Thanks guys. This is for Linux (specifically Ubuntu) but other distros remain a possibility, so I'll check gstreamer out.

EDIT: Drat, I should have guessed from the name, but GStreamer uses GObject. FFMpeg it is then! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement