🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Setting up a Linux Server

Started by
5 comments, last by Pennywise1911 12 years, 11 months ago
Hi!
Can anyone explain me how to set up a Linux server?
Advertisement
Moved to Everything Unix, as this has absolutely nothing to do with programming.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Moved to Everything Unix, as this has absolutely nothing to do with programming.

Can u give me the link?
You can find a number of up-to-date articles in SliceHost's articles.
What kind of service do you want to provide? An always-on computer running version control for yourself? A home entertainment server? A cluster of MMORPG systems?
An easier Linux server distro is Ubuntu Server, has a nice and easy install procedure and once you're up and running installing a LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL and PHP) config is as easy as 'sudo apt-get install lamp-server^' :)

Ubuntu has a lot of help and support available and a nice friendly community (though a lot of Linux communities are friendly and helpful).
Please check out my blog and tutorials site at levelbylevel.com
I prefer Debian for severs. Ubuntu based on Debian. You can use a lot of beginner friendly ressources for Ubuntu on a Debian server but there are also a lot of Debian tutorials about mailserver, Apache, MySQL, DNS, DHCP and other things.

Oh yes... Install the base system. Don't install a GUI or the Web Server and Database Server things you get offered at the installation. Do it yourself or you will learn nothing.Oh and don't listen to the Linux Pro's they try to tell you, that you should compile your own Linux to get a good OS... This times are over... Debian is good enough and you don't have to f**k around with source codes and compiling and upgrading software manually... sudo apt-get upgrade and watch the packets flow...^^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement