Advertisement

How many of you use C for game programming?

Started by January 24, 2011 04:33 AM
107 comments, last by Washu 13 years, 6 months ago
I use C for almost all of my programming because I like the simplicity of C over C++. I also agree with previous posters that some C++isms make the code harder to read/follow but that's probably because I don't code in C++ much. I have yet to come across a problem that just cannot be coded in C, and any extra bit you may need to get something working in C that is "easier" in C++ seems to me is gained back in the clarity of the language.

I might get flamed for this, but oh well, I'm used to it. I think C++ promotes alot of bad programming practice and laziness, especially for beginner programmers. I don't hate C++, but I prefer straight forward C over some class/template crazy C++ code. TBH, I don't even see what makes most of those features even useful to begin with. Almost everything you can do in C++, you can do in C, but just requires a bit more effort.

I wrote my first 3rd person shooter game in C. Saw no advantage in using C++ whatsoever, and it was easier to follow/maintain.

Anything you can do in C, you can do in assembler with a bit more effort. Always use the highest level/most productive tool you can*. Time wasted doing stuff in C that "requires a bit more effort" is time that could better be spent adding features, polishing the design, etc.

*i.e. the one that satisfies your requirements for portability, performance, etc.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Advertisement

Almost everything you can do in C++, you can do in C, but just requires a bit more effort.

True, but then pretty much everything that you can do in C can be done in C++. All the features of C++ that C lacks are optional and if you are preferring to write procedural code, C++ can still be a better choice due to stricter type-safety.

I understand the arguments for C in terms of compilation speed, maybe easier optimisation by compilers and availability of good compilers on some platforms, but not because C++ has features that impart no overhead if you choose not to use them.
I basically use reduced C++. I don't try and use its features for the hell of it, like i've seen a number of times in the industry, i use what is useful. For example,

- I only use templates in a few core places (lists etc)
- I don't use STL anywhere.
- I don't use inheritance anywhere, i am favouring composition.
- I don't use function overloading.
- I don't use constructors for anything other than initialising members. I have Init() and Close() phases.
- I use global pointers to the main 'managers' in my project.
- I use public members if i would otherwise be writing transparent getter/setter methods.

Essentially, there are some good things about C++ and some bad things about it. You have to learn for yourself and experiment for yourself in order to learn these things. I have gone full circle, i was once a C++ purist, but i found writing pure C++ largely counter-productive. I just want to be productive and so should you.

Have fun!

Java won over C++ because of garbage collection.
I disagree. Java is a mid-level language (for lack of a better word since it's neither really high nor low level) whereas C++ is a low level language with pretend OOP. Mid-level languages with Java leading the way kicked C++ out of a lot places, but there are a few niches where C++ is still useful.

Anything you can do in C, you can do in assembler with a bit more effort. Always use the highest level/most productive tool you can*. Time wasted doing stuff in C that "requires a bit more effort" is time that could better be spent adding features, polishing the design, etc. .

This is silly. C is 10 times more productive than assembler. C++ is not 10 time more productive than C.
Anthony Umfer
Advertisement

This is silly. C is 10 times more productive than assembler. C++ is not 10 time more productive than C.

Many people would find C++ to be some bit more productive than C. I certainly do, maybe between 2x and 5x depending on what I'm doing (e.g. string manipulation). I find Ruby to be hugely more productive than C++, but I can't always use Ruby. Still others might be more productive in assembler. It depends on the individual, provided they remain aware of the "Blub paradox".

So you'll only use something if it's ten times better? A car isn't ten times faster than a bike, so are you saying that we shouldn't use cars? A microwave doesn't cook food ten times faster than an oven, so are you saying that we shouldn't use microwaves?

'typedef said:

Many people would find C++ to be some bit more productive than C. I certainly do, maybe between 2x and 5x depending on what I'm doing (e.g. string manipulation). I find Ruby to be hugely more productive than C++, but I can't always use Ruby. Still others might be more productive in assembler. It depends on the individual, provided they remain aware of the "Blub paradox".

One could argue that your 2x-5x increased productivity evaporates while waiting for the code to build. :P

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

Since i'm a Pascal/Object Pascal man i don't use C/C++/C#.

I use VS only for compile some project of other people and dev in .Net w/ Pascal.
---------------------------------
FAR Colony http://farcolony.blogspot.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement