Advertisement

What Installer package can I use as an alternative to NSIS?

Started by January 21, 2011 08:34 PM
6 comments, last by Lode 13 years, 6 months ago
I am using NSIS right now to make an installer for my program and though I can generate an installer in Linux with NSIS I can not actually use the EXE which it generates... What can I use instead that will generate files that can be ran on windows and linux to install my program?

I am using NSIS right now to make an installer for my program and though I can generate an installer in Linux with NSIS I can not actually use the EXE which it generates... What can I use instead that will generate files that can be ran on windows and linux to install my program?

You probably just want a .deb package or rpm, or other package-manager friendly bundle on linux.

Or, CMake / AutoTools, so whomever can just build it.
Advertisement

'SteveDeFacto' said:

I am using NSIS right now to make an installer for my program and though I can generate an installer in Linux with NSIS I can not actually use the EXE which it generates… What can I use instead that will generate files that can be ran on windows and linux to install my program?

You probably just want a .deb package or rpm, or other package-manager friendly bundle on linux.

Why does it seem like I can't find installers for anything on linux? I had to install blender and gimp through the software manager thing. Do different versions of linux require different builds? For instance, if I compiled something on Ubuntu would it work on Mandrake and other linux distros?

I don't understand the concept here...

'KulSeran' said:

'SteveDeFacto' said:

I am using NSIS right now to make an installer for my program and though I can generate an installer in Linux with NSIS I can not actually use the EXE which it generates… What can I use instead that will generate files that can be ran on windows and linux to install my program?

Why does it seem like I can't find installers for anything on linux? I had to install blender and gimp through the software manager thing. Do different versions of linux require different builds? For instance, if I compiled something on Ubuntu would it work on Mandrake and other linux distros?

I don't understand the concept here…

The binaries might work assuming all the prerequisites are there. There are a few different package management systems in use on linux, and in order to get smooth deployment you would need a different package for each of those systems. I believe most distros can use RPM though. If your applications doesn't have any external dependencies, or you bundle the dependencies with your app, then you can just supply a tgz and a launch script. It really depends on who your target audience is as well.

Why does it seem like I can't find installers for anything on linux? I had to install blender and gimp through the software manager thing.

Linux installs most things through the package manager. I'd claim its better than even an "app store" as it takes care of pre-requisite libraries for you. Instead of bundling a DirectX installer with your installer, you just set the dependancies on the package to include the OpenGl libraries and the package manager takes care of getting everything installed.

You can however install the .deb / .rpm without them being in the main repository by downloading them like any windows installer package.

Do different versions of linux require different builds? For instance, if I compiled something on Ubuntu would it work on Mandrake and other linux distros?

It can. You may have issues. You may not. IIRC you just need the same libraries and kernel version on both.

'SteveDeFacto' said:

Why does it seem like I can't find installers for anything on linux? I had to install blender and gimp through the software manager thing.

Linux installs most things through the package manager. I'd claim its better than even an "app store" as it takes care of pre-requisite libraries for you. Instead of bundling a DirectX installer with your installer, you just set the dependancies on the package to include the OpenGl libraries and the package manager takes care of getting everything installed.

You can however install the .deb / .rpm without them being in the main repository by downloading them like any windows installer package.

Do different versions of linux require different builds? For instance, if I compiled something on Ubuntu would it work on Mandrake and other linux distros?

It can. You may have issues. You may not. IIRC you just need the same libraries and kernel version on both.

How do I submit my program to the linux repository?
Advertisement

However NSIS generates Windows executable file, this .exe can be successfully run also on Linux.
All you need is the Wine - it is more comfortable for inexperienced user to install your game with few clicks...
But you can use some other install system which works on Linux.
I create cool-looking Graphical Installers in NSIS:
http://unsigned-softworks.sk/installer
http://unsigned-softworks.sk/en/images/gallery/solutions/solution_1.jpg
http://unsigned-softworks.sk/en/images/gallery/technical/technical_1.jpg
Linux doesn't use installers. Linux users install programs using the package manager, rather than by running an installer and clicking next, next.

Instead, you should get your program included in the (community) package manager of your distro OR allow users to install it using configure and make (but in the modern times I think the first option is the handiest).

If you just make a portable configure and make script, then anyone can easily make a package of your program for the package manager of their favorite distro.

Once you get used to it, a package management system is much more pleasant than the installer system of Windows and all those nagging programs with their own independent updaters and popups for it :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement