🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

OpenGL without X on NVIDIA

Started by
2 comments, last by Fiddler 13 years, 6 months ago
Why do NVIDIA drivers force one to use X? What if one, for example, wanted to 1) have only a fullscreen app and not lose any performance because there was a windowing system running, or 2) build an alternative to X on top of OpenGL?
"But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?" --Mark Twain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Looking for a high-performance, easy to use, and lightweight math library? http://www.cmldev.net/ (note: I'm not associated with that project; just a user)
Advertisement
Well, both reasons are kind of marginal cases. Nvidia isn't in the business of making nine individual nerds happy. They're in the business of shifting silicon at minimal additional cost.

It took long enough for them to properly support Mac & Linux -- they originally used to have the position that 10% of computer users didn't represent a big enough market for them to be bothered about.

You're asking for entire new driver stack (with all the associated maintenance overhead) but without a large enough demand to make that worthwhile.

They're X-drivers after all. If you want OpenGL without X, see if you can hack the Nouveau drivers. Or have a look at Wayland, an alternative to X.org.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Nvidia's and Ati's closed-source drivers are built around X11, no way to work around that. Without a WM, the X server installs in a few MB and starts up very quickly. I've been using this approach for an emulator-centric distro and it works great!

The open-source drivers (Nouveau/Radeon) now work without X11. You can use EGL to create the OpenGL context but I *think* that right now you are limited to the OpenGL ES subset of the specs. (Desktop OpenGL should become available later on.)

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement