🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Best keyboard for programming?

Started by
27 comments, last by r4idontmy 12 years, 8 months ago
Am I the only one on this planet who can't use an ergonomic keyboard and feel comfortable? I have use many as several friends have them and they just don't feel right. I suppose it's because I don't use home row type and use more of a hunt and peck. Though I mostly just go very fast and seem to hit the right keys. Having a normal keyboard with straight rows allows my fingers to move uniformly across the board and hit each key I want since I have learned instinctively where each key is and my fingers just go there. I would recommend just a plain-old-keyboard (play on term there with POD). The simpler it is the easier it will be to use IMHO and will also allow your brain to worry less on keeping your hands in perfect form and more and allowing you to flow from word to word.
Advertisement
Gotta disagree with the "Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000", I have it, I game with it, thats all. The keys are heavy, great for space bar when gaming, doesnt feel like it will break, but I dont find it good for typing. I use this to code.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=040

Keys are lighter, theyre "clicky" (they bounce back fast), they feel direct when you hit them, its a little bit ergonomic a little bit square, and it can be found for $15-20 when not on sale.
Quote: Original post by adam4813
I suppose it's because I don't use home row type and use more of a hunt and peck.

Bingo. Here's what you do: Get a piece of cardboard and fold it into a cover over your keyboard, so your hands can go in but you can't see them on the keys. Then concentrate on hitting the keys with the correct fingers. You'll spend about two days being not very productive at all, and then you'll be able to type faster than you ever had before. (In case you think you're a really fast typist right now: You are not.) Also, read this.
I would first choose a keyboard that has a key tray to prevent liquids from getting to the little circuit flaps inside. I've destroyed many a keyboard from the all mighty Amp and late night coding.
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
There are protectors for keyboards. They're usually called keyboard skins or seals and for the most part work to guard against liquids.
Quote: Original post by SiCrane
There are protectors for keyboards. They're usually called keyboard skins or seals and for the most part work to guard against liquids.

I'm on my second keyboard from Microsoft, I don't know what model. but they both were built as sealed cases, so that the only way liquid could get to the inside is if you dumped 2 or more cans of soda on it, even still the little tubes the keys fit in are probably tall enough that the tray would overflow before letting any liquid in.

This of course assumes the user is knowledgeable enough not to immediately flip the keyboard over putting the liquid into the key and then flipping it over again to allow it to drain into the little tubes.

[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.
Quote: Original post by Sneftel
You'll spend about two days being not very productive at all, and then you'll be able to type faster than you ever had before. (In case you think you're a really fast typist right now: You are not.)
I don't use standard typing position (because it's moronic on a non-ergo keyboard) and use more freeform finger selection and positioning -- but without looking at the keyboard. I've clocked in at 120 WPM. So I don't feel that it's necessary to type home-row style.

That said, if you DO type home-row style, under no circumstances should you use a standard straight keyboard for any significant length of time.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote: Original post by adam4813
I suppose it's because I don't use home row type and use more of a hunt and peck.

Bingo. Here's what you do: Get a piece of cardboard and fold it into a cover over your keyboard, so your hands can go in but you can't see them on the keys. Then concentrate on hitting the keys with the correct fingers. You'll spend about two days being not very productive at all, and then you'll be able to type faster than you ever had before. (In case you think you're a really fast typist right now: You are not.) Also, read this.

I do have a high WPM count on most tests due to just going with the flow. I don't look at the keyboard when I type I just go. As far as my keyboard I use a curved one that isn't egro, but I program better on my laptop due to the straight and even keys. I use the Microsoft Comfort Curve 4000. I don't have the money to upgrade otherwise I'd get a nice straight keyboard.
Quote: Original post by Promit
You'll spend about two days being not very productive at all, and then you'll be able to type faster than you ever had before. (In case you think you're a really fast typist right now: You are not.)
I don't use standard typing position (because it's moronic on a non-ergo keyboard) and use more freeform finger selection and positioning -- but without looking at the keyboard. I've clocked in at 120 WPM. So I don't feel that it's necessary to type home-row style.
Yes, I should say that there's no overwhelming reason to type exactly like Ninja Turtles Typing Tutor instructs you to. If you can consistently pull off -- hell, even just 80 or 90 WPM, you're a good enough typist to be a programmer. The thing is, before I learned to actually type and was hunt n' pecking, I really thought I was a fast typist, because (a) I could do it without looking, and (b) my hands were totally flying back and forth across the keyboard at an incredible speed. Of course, that latter one was because I was only using three fingers on each hand for most keys. As you say, the WPM (factoring in accuracy) is the important diagnostic.
If you like non-ergo, I recommend the Enermax Aurora. It has low profile almost laptop like keys with a really nice action. It is also slick as hell due to the top being made out of aluminum.

See, beautiful!

It's sturdy, too. I could seriously beat someone to death with it.

Don't ask me about how it affects typing speed, though, as I'm actually not much of a typist (touch type, but only about 50 wpm).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement