🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Best keyboard for programming?

Started by
27 comments, last by r4idontmy 12 years, 8 months ago
What keyboards are best for programming (writing lots of code and comfortable), and why?

Thanks!
Advertisement
http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/keyboards/keyboard/devices/177 or the UltraX.
I'm a big fan of the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. Good layout, good key travel and response, and ergonomically designed without being overly weird. The one issue I've had is that the space bar is a little balky at first, but that goes away after about a week of use.

Incidentally, stay away from MS's older ergonomic keyboard, the "Natural Keyboard Elite". Its layout is stupid.
Another vote for the Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 here; a little odd when you first get it however after a bit of use you'll get used to it and, in my experiance, it will probably make you type faster as it forces you to keep your hands on half the keyboard each (on previous keyboards I would experiance 'drift' of my hands).
I prefer this one to the logitech keyboard:
http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/keyboards/Desktop/G85-23100/index.htm

The media buttons are useless though.
So for keyboards, there's a few questions:
* Do you want or need ergonomic shaping, and how extreme?
* Do you prefer normal or low profile (laptop style) keys?
* Do you want the feel to be smooth or clicky?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote: Original post by Promit
So for keyboards, there's a few questions:

* Do you want or need ergonomic shaping, and how extreme?

The more normal, the better for me. There should be arrow keys, and ins, home, pgup, del, end, pgdown keys above it, in exactly two rows of exactly 3 keys. There should be a numpad to the right.

Also, no F-lock, I hate F-lock, the function keys must work as function keys (F1-F12), I don't understand why some keyboards, even from well known companies, have this F-lock thing and why the normal F keys are off by default whenever the computer is rebooted.

About the keyboards where the keys for the left and right hand are spread apart, I've never used such a one, I don't know if I would like it or dislike it. Anyone have experience with this?

* Do you prefer normal or low profile (laptop style) keys?

I have a Logitech UltraX (mentioned higher up) in fact, and I must say I kind of like it, especially its looks. However, sometimes a key starts responding less good. With much difficulty and care, it's possible to remove a keycap (not as easy as on a normal keyboard) and fix it, but some other key will then do it again later. Very strange to see that you typed some text and sometimes a letter is missing...

* Do you want the feel to be smooth or clicky?

I've worked with regular keyboards (dome switch design I guess), and the flat Logitech UltraX, and I think both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Some people seem to like very clicky keyboards like the Model M or the "Das Keyboard", with buckling spring design, but I've never worked on such a one. Has anyone worked with those, and is it really good?

What's best against RSI? smooth or clicky, normal or low profile?
Another Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 user here. It's literally the best purchase I ever made. Saved my wrists and with it, my entire career.
_______________________________________Pixelante Game Studios - Fowl Language
I too, use the "Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000", Probably the best keyboard I've ever bought. Wrists don't hurt after spending hours upon hours of coding, and SUPER easy to clean!
Uziel was defeated by Tiny Mandragora.
Quote: Original post by Lode
What's best against RSI? smooth or clicky, normal or low profile?

Best against RSI is probably the MS one people have been mentioning [wink]

Split key takes some getting used to but really is fine once you get over the change.

For the record, the MS keyboard starts with the F-keys as F-keys by default in my experiance (which is probably why I don't get the fuss about 'F-lock' being bad).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement