🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Any recomendations for a C\C++ IDE?

Started by
4 comments, last by emfb 24 years, 4 months ago
I am pretty much new to using Linux (I finaly have a video card that has a xserver for it so forgive me if I say something stupid.

I want to start writing programs for Linux and I dont feel like learning how to create MAKE files and figure out all the switches to gcc. Any recomendations on an IDE for Linux development?? I am using RedHat 5.2 and KDE.

I did a quick search on freshmeat.net looking for a high quality free IDE but didn't come across anything that caught my eye.

If I cant find anything good could someone please tell me if the Linux version of CodeWarrior is worth the $70, this seems kind of high as I bought VC++ for $99 that included an IDE.

I also had one other question about developing xwindow apps. If I create an app that runs under KDE will it work under other window managers?? I ask this because Ive heard that KDE uses a differnt library (qt) that others. Is there a standard xwindows library that i could use that would work under all window managers?

Thanks for any help!

"You know you're obsessed with computer graphics when you're outside and you look up at the trees and think, "Wow! That's spectacular resolution!""
Advertisement
Once you get used to make files and gcc it''s not so bad.

You can re-use your make files, so take the time to get one going right and then modify it as required.

Best of luck.
check out kdevelop. it takes care of all the make files, etc and it''s kinda similar to MSVC. also, as long as you don''t use KDE specific librarys, any qt program will run in different window managers.
Hmm, I just use vi, but that''s the way I am. Try to get gnome, it''s (IMHO) much better than kde. But, if you want to learn about makefiles, type this on the command line: man makefile and it''ll give you it''s documentation.
There is also CodeCrusader, which is similar to CodeWarrior. I don''t know how much better it is thought, didn''t have much time to play with it. CodeWarrior is probably one of the best ones out there anyways for IDEs.
It''s not an IDE, but have you looked at Glade? glade.pn.org Glade is a REALLY nice GUI builder. You do the point & click thing to create app interfaces, select your language you want to generate it in (C, C++, Perl, ADA, Eiffel) and it auto-generates source code, and the makefiles for it. It''s really nice, and easy to use (Of course this is more for making apps, rather than gaming kind of things).

A good c++ development environment is Kdeveloper. I don''t know of a good C-specific IDE. My suggestion for debugger would have to go with DDD. DDD is the best debugger I have ever used on any platform.

As always, take a spin around freshmeat.net and see if you can find anything like an IDE you might like, I know there are several.

Dane Jackson - zuvembi@mindless.com
The meek shall inherit what they're bloody well given.
And be thankful for it.
Dane Jackson - zuvembi@mindless.com
The meek shall inherit what they're bloody well given.
And be thankful for it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement