🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What could I sell my computer for?

Started by
3 comments, last by l jsym l 14 years, 7 months ago
Hey, I bought a dell xps laptop 1530 (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 ghz, 320gb) about half a year ago but I'm looking to sell it. I'm wondering what you all think it would go for. I want to get a Macbook Pro because I'm hearing really good stuff about them. Also I want to get rid of this because its too big for me, I want a smaller more portable laptop with greater battery life. If anyone has any idea what I could sell this laptop at please let me know. Its in very good shape, I would reformat it and make it completely clean. Also, It has three partitions on it. Windows Vista, (Beta Version)Windows 7, and Windows XP versions.
l jsym l
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by l jsym l
Hey, I bought a dell xps laptop 1530 (Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 ghz, 320gb) about half a year ago but I'm looking to sell it. I'm wondering what you all think it would go for.
Google says that those are worth around $1,000 new, $550 refurbished, and $450 used. If it is in mint condition and you can throw in some (legal) software, you might be able to flog it for $600 on craigslist or ebay (once again: 'might be able').
Quote: I want to get a Macbook Pro because I'm hearing really good stuff about them. Also I want to get rid of this because its too big for me, I want a smaller more portable laptop with greater battery life.
While I love the MacBook Pro line, the battery life isn't that spectacular compared to similar spec PCs, and the 15" model won't be more than a tad lighter than your Dell.

I take it that you are considering the 13" model instead (which is also a lot cheaper), at which point you probably need to come up with an additional $600-700 over what your Dell will fetch.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

yep thats what I was thinking. I'm goiing to get the 13" if i can get this sold because BestBuy has got a no interest for like 3 years plan :) so thats what i'm trying to go for :P

Thanks man
l jsym l
The only complaint I have about my macbook (unibody 13", pre-pro) is that the resolution is a bit tight for serious coding. 800 vertical dots is only just passible, and not comfortable for long coding sessions, personally.

Visual Studio isn't terrible, bare-bones editors are OK, but I have to do a lot of work with "Everything it's own pane" Ecclipse, and it gets old quickly... Especially in the debugging view where there's probably 5-6 main panes, plus menus and tool-strips.

If you plan to do a lot of coding in one spot, it might be nice to have an external monitor handy.

Other than that, its the best laptop I've ever owned, and the virtues of their trackpad know no bounds.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

yeah I have heard that on some other forums. A lot of people seemed to say an external monitor is the way to go to solve that problem. So i'll probably have to purchase one
l jsym l

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement