🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

nVidia GTX275 & ASUS P5B Deluxe

Started by
8 comments, last by BLiTZWiNG 14 years, 11 months ago
Ok, I decided today that I need to upgrade my 7900 GT. I saw a good price on the Zotec GTX275 (AU$299) so I grabbed it (should get it tomorrow). However, it dawns on me of course that I have not messed with hardware in the last 3 years, and I still have my Core 2 E6400 (oc'd to 3.2GHz) in an ASUS P5B Deluxe. It has a PCI-E 16 slot, but I see the GTX275 wants PCI-E 2.0 Is this going to be a problem for me?
Advertisement
PCIe 2.0 is backwards compliant with 1.1 standards. Older cards still function in the newer slots.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote: Original post by Talroth
PCIe 2.0 is backwards compliant with 1.1 standards. Older cards still function in the newer slots.

Don't you mean newer cards still function in the older slots?

Quote: Original post by Demosthenes

Don't you mean newer cards still function in the older slots?

The PCIe 2.0 socket interface is backward compatible with 1.0 and 1.1 cards, however it is not a given that all PCIe 2.0 devices will work in a 1.0 or 1.1 slot. Most cards, especially graphics cards, will run in older slots. Just don't assume everything will. You should see improved performance if you were using a 2.0 slot over a 1.1.

From what I can find, the GTX275 runs fine in either 2.0 or 1.x. They really need to put this kind of information on the box.
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
You're actually more likely to run into the problem where the GTX275 is simply too long to fit in your box than not being compatible with the slot. I actually had to buy a new case when I got a GTX275.
Thanks for that Talroth.

Quote: Original post by Nypyren
You're actually more likely to run into the problem where the GTX275 is simply too long to fit in your box than not being compatible with the slot. I actually had to buy a new case when I got a GTX275.

Yes. I had this problem when I got it home :( It was about 10mm too long. I have an Antec SOLO case which I was thinking of applying some tin snips to, but then I will probably have sharp edges that will cut other wires.

I'm tossing up whether to just do that anyway or get something like either Antec 300 or 900. Antec 300 says it has enough room for an 8800, but the GTX275 is 1.5" longer than an 880. Someone on another forum says they have a GTX275 in an Antec 300 no worries.

All I have to hope now is that my 550W supply can, well, supply the necessary grunt otherwise it will be yet another day before I get to use it :(
The trick to cutting sheet metal parts out is to not just cut a hole the size you need, but rather cut a slightly smaller hole, and leave yourself tabs you can roll back and hide the sharp edges.

Another option is to apply a good bead of epoxy as an edge protector.
The trick to cutting sheet metal parts out is to not just cut a hole the size you need, but rather cut a slightly smaller hole, and leave yourself tabs you can roll back and hide the sharp edges.

Another option is to apply a good bead of epoxy as an edge protector.

Thanks for that, definitely a good tip.

I got bored in traffic last night (there was an crashed that blocked the highway) so I took an offramp and went to the computer store and got myself a ThermalTake V9 case instead.

It's ok, but I've had better.
Quote: Original post by BLiTZWiNG
Thanks for that Talroth.

Quote: Original post by Nypyren

Yes. I had this problem when I got it home :( It was about 10mm too long. I have an Antec SOLO case which I was thinking of applying some tin snips to, but then I will probably have sharp edges that will cut other wires.

I'm tossing up whether to just do that anyway or get something like either Antec 300 or 900. Antec 300 says it has enough room for an 8800, but the GTX275 is 1.5" longer than an 880. Someone on another forum says they have a GTX275 in an Antec 300 no worries.

All I have to hope now is that my 550W supply can, well, supply the necessary grunt otherwise it will be yet another day before I get to use it :(

If it's a quality power supply with sufficient rail power you should be okay. I used an Antec 550W with mine just fine.

p.s. But yeah these cards are monsters in size/performance compared to what you will see in most people's pc and compared to the older ATI 9700 or even the 8800 series cards.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Funny that... I thought it was a generic no name, but when I did the transplanting last night I noticed it's an Antec NeoHE 550. I remember buying it, but I thought it was one on my Antecs that had died.

Nevertheless, so far so good, runs Crysis awesomely :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement