🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Custom Hardware: Modifying a scanner for large format?

Started by
17 comments, last by owl 14 years, 11 months ago
I often find myself working on large drawing projects, 12"x18" and up. Many of these are items I would love to be able to scan and rework digitally. However I'm stuck either trying to scan them with overlap in a flatbed scanner and stitching them together, or carefully setting up a camera to get a photo of it. Neither of these options works very well. Then there is the option to buy a larger flatbed scanner, but an 18" scanner is more than my computer itself is worth. Rather steep for a hobby. And as I get around on foot or by bus usually, carting stuff off to the local copy center to get them to scan it is less than ideal. So, I thought why not explore ripping apart a cheap sub $200 scanner, and rebuilding it as a large traction feed scanner that can accept pages say, 46 inches wide, and infinitely long? I know this is a game forum, but there seems to be so many jacks of all trades floating around that I figured either someone could give their thoughts, or point me toward a forum better suited for the project with as great a community as here. Thanks. I'm also thinking if I can pull that off, how much harder could it be to expand the project to double as a plotter as well?
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement
what's wrong with your stiching? I'd say that's the easiest and cheapest solution (I assume you're using software for that and dont do it by hand :) ).

if you'd want to rebuild a scanner, you'd also have to somehow write some driver etc, and it's not as easy as it seems.

I had a similar idea, involving an RC car and a webcam... that probably says enough actually. :P
---------------------------------dofile('sig.lua')
I think it's a great idea, but it's also a lot of work. Do you have the necessary background in electronics, electrical technology and low-level software development? More importantly, are you prepared to acquire it where necessary?

I think you should go for it.
I would be inclined to wonder whether a vertically mounted webcam on a track wouldn't be a simpler approach...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Sadly the project is shelved for a few months till I can find another workshop, but I'm still going to be gathering pieces and such to do this. Might be able to pull it off if I turn my bedroom into a fab shop, but not even I'm overly willing to sleep in the same area I kick up a pile of metal shavings.

My worry about the use of a webcam is colour reproduction and resolution, but I guess it is worth a shot for a prototype. And if not, I might be able to pull the head from an actual scanner and use that.
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote: Original post by Talroth
My worry about the use of a webcam is colour reproduction and resolution, but I guess it is worth a shot for a prototype. And if not, I might be able to pull the head from an actual scanner and use that.
Scanner head would likely be much better. The main thrust of my idea was that it may be easier to move the head than it is to move the source (especially if you aren't only scanning drawings - try running a collage though a traction feed [smile]).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Why not getting a Sheet-feed Scanner? 374 bucks are worth the time you'd expend into building your own, if you actually ever finish.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Quote: Original post by swiftcoder
Scanner head would likely be much better. The main thrust of my idea was that it may be easier to move the head than it is to move the source (especially if you aren't only scanning drawings - try running a collage though a traction feed [smile]).

Well, the head would move back and forth on the X, and then the roller would pull it up to advance the Y. I don't have space for a six foot long flat bed.

Quote: Original post by owl
Why not getting a Sheet-feed Scanner? 374 bucks are worth the time you'd expend into building your own, if you actually ever finish.

Because that is nothing at all like what we're talking about in this thread. We're talking about being able to scan BIG sheets, not big piles of small sheets.
Quote: Original post by owl

Because that is nothing at all like what we're talking about in this thread. We're talking about being able to scan BIG sheets, not big piles of small sheets.

My bad, sorry. "Largo" in spanish means "long" and I sometimes misread the word.

Anyway, a sheet feed scanner should allow you to scan long sheets. You could cut/fold your drawing in half or disasasembly the scanner and find a way to scan the big sheet from the left and then from the right.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement