🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

It's about time to get a new computer

Started by
11 comments, last by MARS_999 14 years, 11 months ago
Quote: Original post by daviangel
Only different recommendation I would make is to get a geoforce260/275 videocard since it's performance in newer games is significant over the 8800 series.

Incidentally, I decided to get a GTX 275 since my last post, and it is indeed a noticably faster card than the 8800 GTS I was using. I have it paired up with my PhenomII and put the 8800 in the E8400 box.

The only problem with the GTX 275 is that it's HUGE! (I had to buy a new case since it didn't fit in the old one)
Advertisement
Two words: AnandTech's Guides
I would wait and get a Core i7 chip that is based on the Lynnfield CPU design. I think it will be around 2.83Ghz... It will O.C. itself up to like 3.4GHz IIRC and has the PCi-e controller or something on the CPU itself which in theory should make the bottle neck less, have to wait and see.

As for GPU's, I wouldn't wait around for DX11 as MS will move to DX11.1 or whatever soon after just like DX10.1 was and your hardware will be outdated again. Besides I would bet the first run of silicon will be buggy compared to the 2nd gen, as is with most new tech. Buy a cheaper DX10 card for now and pick up a nicer DX11.1 card later, besides Larrabee is coming out also it may surprise you!

If you want on the Win7 train you will need to wait until Oct anyway.

As for Geforce cards the Geforce 275 is a very nice card if you can get it cheap enough, and as you already know Nvidia's OPenGL support is usually better than ATI's, but as of lately ATI has stepped up and started actually making progress towards a decent OpenGL driver.

Something else to think about SATA 6Gb is coming out soon as is USB3.0 if you are interested in those techs. I know PCI-e 3.0 is coming out also, but in either 2010 or 2011 I can't remember when.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement