🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MultiCore Processor?

Started by
8 comments, last by benryves 15 years ago
Just curious if anyone is aware of a 'computer' with more than 4 cores (speed per core is irrelevant) that is actually purchasable by a consumer. I'd prefer something technologically inferior to today's semi-standard pc. If there was such a thing as a super mini pc with extremely low specs, that'd be perfect too. Something like a 50 mhz cpu, 256mb ram, 2gb hd, etc. Ports needed would be vga, 2 usb, and an ethernet port or wifi capable. The price would be somewhat important, as I'd want several of these little dinky things to connect together. Do I really sound as crazy as I think I might? (hehe, it'd actually be kinda awesome to have something like I just described the size of a 3.5" internal hd and stack em up in a full size tower with a 'built in' kvm switch).
Advertisement
There is a mac, called the mac pro. I am pretty sure it offers up to eight cores. Also a 4TB Hard Drive. apple.com
Owner and Creator of CGML, along with Phynix. CGML, a 3d, 2d, event library. Version 1.0 is being released, too. Cross platform, windows, OS X, linux, unix. So visit cgml.webs.com today!
AMD has a 6 core processor code named "Istanbul" coming out very soon. It wont be for the consumer AM3 slot but the Socket F or their new G34. However this is meant for servers so it will cost you quite a bundle, (over 1000$ USD).

Of course you can buy a muli-socket motherboard server, get two of these and you'll have 12 cores.

But don't worry were a couple years away from 16 core CPUs. I think recently AMD did a demonstration of a 16 core setup.
I thought I remember hearing something about one of the lego Mindstorm kits that had a processor that could handle 256 simultaneous instructions. I could be completely wrong on that though.
Use a PS3. :)
lol@PS3

I'd prefer my project to be offline. It does however make me wish for a quantum computer, not that I'd have a clue how utilize one if I did.

If not for the physical space, I'd just go for a ton of old 386's or something. Makes me wonder if there's a case specifically designed for stacked motherboards. Might just try making one myself, but I'm just a klutz when it comes to that kind of stuff.
Actually I'd second the try out a PS3. It is comparatively cheap, lets you play games and movies when you are board. AND you can program the cell processor, which is interesting in of itself.
The 360 is also multi-core, 3 physical processors, 2 hardware threads each. It's the closest thing to your requirements, cheap, multi-core (not quite 4, but 3) and all the ports u need.

I'm sure u can pick up some used cheap, but they are prone to RROD.

Good Luck!

-ddn
I think Andre LaMothe sells a few different "DIY console kits", one of which is a low clock speed 8-core machine. Wish I had the link handy... Think they were about $200.

I don't know what kind of set-up Herb uses, but in this article he's got 24 cores running Windows!

[EDIT]Here's the links for the DIY multicore game console:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HYDRA_Game_Development_Kit
http://www.xgamestation.com/view_product.php?id=33

It's 80MHz x 8 cores, 32k shared ram, ~2k workspace per core, 128k ROM. You could link it up to a PC or other USB device for extra storage space I guess.
Less powerful than you specified, but multicore and very cheap - Parallax Propeller. I'm not sure what you're intending on doing, but it's probably worth a look anyway. [smile]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement