🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Does xf86.h exist anymore?

Started by
5 comments, last by Sander 15 years, 2 months ago
I'm trying to use XF86VidModeValidateModeLine and other functions that return Status. All I can find is that a Status is an int32 (defined in Xlib.h), and includes the value MODE_OK defined in xf86.h. xf86.h doesn't exist. ;) At least not in kubuntu 8.10 with libxxf86vm-dev installed. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Where are MODE_OK and its friends declared? Or have they been depreciated? Also, can anyone point me to the declaration of the values for the flags member of a XF86VidModeModeInfo? My Google-fu is failing badly at the moment.
Advertisement
MODE_OK appears to be in xf86str.h. There also appear to be a number of video mode related flags defined there too.
I've not got that file. I've got xf86vmstr.h, but there's no flags defined in it. I've definitely not got it defined in any of the headers in /usr/include.

What distro and packages have you got? I wouldn't be surprised if I'm missing something, although certainly everything with "vidmode" in the title is installed.

It (xf86str.h) appears to be in package xserver-xorg-dev.
That's it! apt-get has no search, so I couldn't find it. And it calls the package xorg-xserver-dev just to confuse people too. The --install-recommends flag isn't all it's cracked up to be, clearly. ;)

Unfortunately it turns out that xf86str.h includes a whole bunch of other files which declare structures with members called 'class'. Which screws me up, as I'm using C++. Ah well. It looks like they're pretty depreciated anyway - XF86VidModeValidateModeLine never returns MODE_OK, there's always something wrong (usually hsync out of range on my CRT) and my LCD returns MODE_ERROR (and has flags of -1) for everything except the native mode - which makes sense, now I come to think about it.

Looks like I'll need to base my mode selection criteria on something else. Thanks for all the help!
Quote: Original post by subi211
That's it! apt-get has no search, so I couldn't find it.

I cheat by using packages.ubuntu.com (there is a packages.debian.org too).
Quote: That's it! apt-get has no search, so I couldn't find it.

That is why apt-cache and aptitude exist.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement