🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New Machine

Started by
4 comments, last by Ted_Striker 15 years, 3 months ago
My current rig I built is almost 5 years old and only features an APG slot. So after looking to no avail for a geforce 7 series card. Ive decided to upgrade the whole machine. Comments are welcome, Ill probably be ordering next week. The case (replacing a thermaltake soprano) The mobo (replacing a p4p800e) The video card (replaceing a gigabyte 6600gt) The CPU (replaceing a prescott P4 at 2.4 The memory (yeah its only 2 gigs but if and when I go Vista I can get more) The PSU (replaceing a thermaltake 430 watt) Id like some input on my choices
Advertisement
I would get a cheaper case and spend more money on RAM and/or a faster processor.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
yeah the case is alittle pricey but Im in love with it.
It's a little underpowered for my tastes, should work depending on what you want to do with it. With the price of ram I would not get less (or more really) then 4GB. You should also consider upgrading your hard drive. The new drives are quite a bit faster then what was available five years ago.
Moved to Hardware Discussion.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote: Original post by tstrimp
It's a little underpowered for my tastes, should work depending on what you want to do with it. With the price of ram I would not get less (or more really) then 4GB. You should also consider upgrading your hard drive. The new drives are quite a bit faster then what was available five years ago.

see thats what I was wondering since posting Ive upgraded to a 2.8 dual core.
As far as a new drive, Its got some life left in it and is serial so Ill keep it just to keep the cost down since the case is outragous.

Im not working right now but really need something somewhat modern and I am budgeted.

My core gaming still consists of SOF2, Battlefield and Warcraft 3 but Id like to run Fallout3 and the new Diablo and if Blizzard follows thier past trends it shouldnt take too much to run it with eyecandy.

Im a graduate of FullSail but still havent dabbled with shaders or anything from Opengl 2.0 since my card was too old to run anything but CG so Id like to do that also.

Thanks for responding

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement