🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Migrating system to new server (newer version of Suse)

Started by
-1 comments, last by HumanoidTyphoon 15 years, 7 months ago
Hi We are planning on migrating our system onto a new server with a better hardware profile, aswell as newer versions of linux/perl/mysql I will not be the person migrating the data but I will probably end up dealing with any problems. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the processes involved? Im hoping we can take a snapshot of everything, and simply transfer it up to a point. I want to retain things like: -Files -Directories -Users/Permissions -Databases -Cron Jobs Obviously things like Apache will need to be installed and settings reconfigured, also perl modules not included with the perl release but used by our system would need to be installed. IP address would need to change etc. Im trying to figure out how all this might be done, and what problems we will potentially face. The version changes of linux, perl and mysql could cause problems with scripts if commands and functions have changed between versions as I notice they have done before, so I will need to test for that, but even getting to the stage of testing sounds overwhelming. Any advice? Articles? Methods? Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement