🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need some advice on Linux.

Started by
5 comments, last by rogerdv 15 years, 7 months ago
So I found out that my USB .11n adapter has drivers for Linux (it's a Linksys WUSB600N which has a Ralink 2870 chipset). Now, I'm wondering how to install this on Slackware since I'm thinking of dual booting. So, any advice? Maybe even a distro change? What I'm really looking for is a link to a guide. What I'm excited about is that I don't have to use ndiswrapper. Anyway, thanks in advance.
Advertisement
If you don't know linux that well, don't mess with Slackware. Go with something easier like Fedora or Ubuntu.
Quote: Original post by Maega
If you don't know linux that well, don't mess with Slackware. Go with something easier like Fedora or Ubuntu.

... but wait until tomorrow if you're going with Ubuntu, thats when 8.10 "Intrepid Ibix" is released.

Ive used Mandriva and Fedora in the past, but I am now a Ubuntu user, it is IMHO the best and easiest to use linux distro especially for linux beginners.
Gavin Coates
[size="1"]IT Engineer / Web Developer / Aviation Consultant
[size="1"][ Taxiway Alpha ] [ Personal Home Page ]
Quote: Original post by Pipes McGee
So I found out that my USB .11n adapter has drivers for Linux (it's a Linksys WUSB600N which has a Ralink 2870 chipset). Now, I'm wondering how to install this on Slackware since I'm thinking of dual booting.

Unless you rebuild the kernel, you'll need to load the device driver as a binary module. That gives you two choices: find a binary tarball (Slackware sues this crude but effective mechanism for distribution) or grab the source and configure/make/make-install.

Most kernel modules live in /lib/modules and have a .ko extension.

You may be able to find the driver binary through the Slackware web pages. Alterbatively, it may turn out that it comes with your installation (many drivers do, just like with Windows).

You may find more and better support on the Slackware forums.
Quote:
So, any advice? Maybe even a distro change?

Maybe a distro change. The one thing most other distros have is easier package management. There's something to be said for driving a transport truck without knowing anything about Diesel engines or air brakes.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Thank you all for all of your replies.

[smile]
Just wanted to pop in and say if your looking for something slackware-ish but want a little more user friendlyness. Check out gentoo. I have never used slackware but have been using gentoo for over a year now and I love it. It will take a little getting used to but any pit fall with gentoo, I only see magnified by slackware.

Also a good thing about gentoo, we normally get new packages days before anyone else (no need to check a binary build as all you do is link them to a tar-ball and let them build the file) but this is only really relevant in a 'unstable' system.
Gentoo is not a good distro for unexperienced people. Perhaps a Gentoo-based flavor like Sabayon would be better.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement