🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Installing nVidia driver on remote Linux

Started by
14 comments, last by EonStrife 15 years, 9 months ago
Hi,
thanks. I didn't restart the X Server, I just telinit 5 - sh nvidiadriver.run - telinit 3. I can't take the risk of rebooting the computer because it's in remote and I don't have physical access to the computer...
Advertisement
Its telinit 3 then telinit 5.
Ive had some issues getting my nvidia working well on linux.

Initially it works fine, running on the "nv" driver.

However glxinfo reports direct rendering is off and there are some performance issues.

Switching to the proprietry drivers, which should be simple, they dont seem to function.

At least, drivers set to "nvidia" in the xorg.conf yet X refuses to restart, had to go back to the "nv" config.

I had alot of issues getting my previous card functioning to an acceptable performance level on ATI drivers. It took alot of tweeking.

IMO with recent experiences of linux desktops, xorg.conf is the worst thing about the experience of using modern linux desktops (those that use X).

Ive settled for what i have for now.
Quote: Original post by Kwizatz
Its telinit 3 then telinit 5.

Sorry, I mistyped :), I should have written 3 then 5 :)

BTW, I reboot my system with the /sbin/reboot command. But, after logging in again and try the glGetString(GL_VERSION) and glGetString(GL_RENDERER), I still get version 1.2 with Mesa renderer :(
Weird, are you sure that:

• You didn't made the changes to a reference xorg.conf? check the manual to see where does the OS expect it to reside

• If you ran a system update that Mesa was not updated? if so, run the NVidia installer again to fix the symlinks

You should really try to run nvidia-xconfig if you can get a graphic environment, even if it is running on the open source driver, remember, nvidia-xconfig does NOT override xorg.conf, it creates a new one you must manually move into the correct place.

Actually it does, but I think only if you run it as root.
Hi,
I think everything you mention is okay.

OK, here's a weird thing, I tried to install the driver many times by using sh NVIDIA-bla-bla-bla.run. The funny thing is that I always got the same message:

"There appears to already be a driver installed on your system (version:1.0-9755). As part of installing this driver (version: 177.67), the existing driver will be uninstalled. Are you sure you want to continue? ('no' will abort the installation)"

Of course, I choose yes to uninstall previous driver. But, if I try to run the installation again, I'll get the same message again. Meaning, the version 1.0-9755 is never uninstalled to begin with. I believe that's why the OpenGL version I keep getting is 1.2 with Mesa renderer. I wonder why it fails to uninstall 1.0-9755.

I tried using yumex (or yum) to uninstall xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL, but yum checks dependencies on many application (or, there are many dependencies), so I abort the installation, fearing yum might remove the applications depending on libGL.

This is the log file of the installation (nvidia-installer.log):
nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'creation time: Sat Sep 20 11:17:38 2008option status:  license pre-accepted    : true  update                  : false  force update            : false  expert                  : false  uninstall               : false  driver info             : false  precompiled interfaces  : true  no ncurses color        : false  query latest version    : false  OpenGL header files     : true  no questions            : true  silent                  : true  no recursion            : false  no backup               : false  kernel module only      : false  sanity                  : false  add this kernel         : false  no runlevel check       : false  no network              : true  no ABI note             : false  no RPMs                 : false  no kernel module        : false  force SELinux           : default  no X server check       : false  force tls               : (not specified)  force compat32 tls      : (not specified)  X install prefix        : (not specified)  X library install path  : (not specified)  X module install path   : (not specified)  OpenGL install prefix   : (not specified)  OpenGL install libdir   : (not specified)  compat32 install chroot : (not specified)  compat32 install prefix : (not specified)  compat32 install libdir : (not specified)  utility install prefix  : (not specified)  utility install libdir  : (not specified)  doc install prefix      : (not specified)  kernel name             : (not specified)  kernel include path     : (not specified)  kernel source path      : (not specified)  kernel output path      : (not specified)  kernel install path     : (not specified)  proc mount point        : /proc  ui                      : none  tmpdir                  : /tmp  ftp mirror              : ftp://download.nvidia.com  RPM file list           : (not specified)Using built-in stream user interfaceERROR: An NVIDIA kernel module 'nvidia' appears to already be loaded in your       kernel.  This may be because it is in use (for example, by the X       server), but may also happen if your kernel was configured without       support for module unloading.  Please be sure you have exited X before       attempting to upgrade your driver.  If you have exited X, know that your       kernel supports module unloading, and still receive this message, then       an error may have occured that has corrupted the NVIDIA kernel module's       usage count; the simplest remedy is to reboot your computer.ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file       '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions       on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux       driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Maybe all this time I fail to install the driver, even though in installation interface it's never written that the installation is a failure :(

However, there's no error in Xorg.0, and it seems that the X Server loads nvidia drivers successfully:
...(II) LoadModule: "glx"(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/extensions/libglx.so(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"	compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.9755	Module class: X.Org Server Extension	ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.1(II) Loading extension GLX(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"	compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.9755...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement