🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

game related pc technology and its impact on game development

Started by
0 comments, last by PsichoDM 16 years, 2 months ago
Hi, This is for an assignment im working on at university on games and media and animation course, im asking for help on a project and would be very grateful if anyone could lend me some of their experience. From what i understand games are one of the primary reasons PC Technology continues to be pushed further and further, my project requires me to describe the individual game related components and features in a PC and describe the impact they had on games. I am having a lot of trouble finding resources on this subject that really links games and the pc hardware behind them, and i am really kind of hoping some better educated people on here could either shed some light through their own opinions or possibly direct me to some information i have missed regarding specific milestones in gaming history, or specific games that deserve a mention? I would be very grateful for any help regarding this as i am not a technically minded person and find it quite challenging lol, Thanks :) p.s I am sorry for posting this on multiple boards, i was unsure where to go with it and i also really needed some help with it, i apologize for upsetting anyone in advance :)
Advertisement
Try looking into graphics accelerators at first. It's probably one of the aspects of a desktop pc most affected by the popularity of 3d games. Games like Quake were definitely most affected by it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voodoo_Graphics

Physics Processing Units are also something I'd probably mention since it's another component that targets gamers and has been trying to make its way onto medium range PCs recently.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement