🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Building a computer

Started by
4 comments, last by hplus0603 16 years, 3 months ago
i ma trying to build just a basic computer than runs office and the net over wireless. So heres what i have from dabs.com Edimax 802.11g 54Mbps PCI card Maxtor DiamondMax 20 80GB S300 8MB Kingston ValueRAM 512MB DDR2-667 CL5 Non ECC Intel Core Duo E2160 S775 1.8GHz MSI S775 Intel 945GC MATX A L FSB 1333 and here are the questions 1. Does this look like all i need? 2. Does the processor come with the heatsink 3. Does all this fit each other? Can you suggest better cheaper alternatives. remember all this computer is going to do is browse the internet and use office programs NOt run UT3 at a million fps
Advertisement
What about the powersupply and case?
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
didnt include them, i have them tho . . .do the processors come with the heatsink these days or are they seperate, ive not built y own pc since 2000 and its all gone mad it seems with all the pins, rams and slots

Does this look ok to you to just buy, fit together and get on the net
Well from a quick glance it looks okay.
And yeah I know what you mean about not keeping track with all the latest cpu hardware if you take a break for a while since it happened to me too when I decided to upgrade my first 486 to a P3-LOL!
Anyways if the processor says retail it usually comes with necessary heatsink these days. I say usually since I just saw the new AMD phenom cpu's being sold as retail but without cpu fan which is something new!
You getting an Intel so that doesn't apply in your case.
The core cpu you are looking at are 775 pins so that looks like a compatible motherboard.
The main things you need to be careful with is making sure the motherboard you are buying has the latest bios already flashed to support the newer processors because new bios are being released all the time since new cpu's come out very fast these days.
And the 2nd thing to watch for is making sure you have the correct memory i.e. ddr or ddr2 and correct memory speeds because if you don't the computer you build could be quite unstable or not boot at at. I would download the motherboard manual for the motherboard you are going to get because all this info will be in there.
You could probably get a cheap prebuilt system from walmart these days now that they sell pc's that run Linux last time I heard and that's all you need to surf the web if you don't need windows compatibility.

But if you insist on rolling your own here is an article that might save you some aggravation:
Build a $400 PC for Mom

[Edited by - daviangel on March 2, 2008 4:12:42 PM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
a most excellent answer. thank you very much
If the CPU is "retail" then it comes with the cooling fan (it's active, not a passive sink). If the CPU is "OEM" them it doesn't come with cooling.

You want two of those 512 MB sticks of RAM. Even on Windows XP, you can't run office and XP and IE in 512 MB ram. 1024 for the win in that case. RAM is so cheap, you might as well.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement