Advertisement

Need A New Monitor =-(

Started by January 21, 2008 03:17 PM
40 comments, last by tstrimp 16 years, 8 months ago
Quote: Original post by tstrimp
Quote: Original post by ExtrariusMaybe by then, manufacturer's will figure out how to sell their product's merits.
I guess LCD makers sell their products to the 99.99% of people who don't care about what sort of backlight their monitor use or if it has the full NTSC color gamut that their old bulky CRT didn't come close to, or that their artificial refresh rate is somehow limiting the enjoyability of their games.
It's not about needing or even wanting certain features, it's about the ability to compare price and performance. For graphics cards, I can simply look at benchmarks and easily tell how each performs under different circumstances. The same is true for just about any other part of the computer. If there are two models that differ by $325 in price (which makes the second almost double in price of the first), then it should be completely obvious what that $325 buys, so that I can decide whether those features are worth that price to me. At the moment, I can only really randomly select a model and hope it's worth it's price, and the chances that I'll be dissapointed are quite high.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote: Original post by Extrarius
It's not about needing or even wanting certain features, it's about the ability to compare price and performance. For graphics cards, I can simply look at benchmarks and easily tell how each performs under different circumstances. The same is true for just about any other part of the computer. If there are two models that differ by $325 in price (which makes the second almost double in price of the first), then it should be completely obvious what that $325 buys, so that I can decide whether those features are worth that price to me. At the moment, I can only really randomly select a model and hope it's worth it's price, and the chances that I'll be dissapointed are quite high.

I understand that, but how is/was the CRT market any better? Where are all the specs on CRT color gamut etc? You get the same sort of information about CRTs as you do about LCD. Size, resolution, refresh rate/response time.

And who really buys a product based on specs alone? Those numbers are easily skewed and misrepresented (grey to grey in LD vs black to white to black for response time). If you find a product you think you're interested in you find reviews (notice the plural) from people who have actually used the product.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement