🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Program unplayably slow on Linux, awesome on Windows

Started by
57 comments, last by RSC_x 16 years, 6 months ago
I am using Mesa OpenGL on an Ubuntu machine, and do not like that it is unplayably slow. I'm changing my display manager from GNOME to KDE (help on doing this is just as useful now as about the main topic, if you have knowledge please donate some). Is Mesa, as I've heard, an entirely-software implementation? If so, what else can I use? Thanks in advance, --Bosch
Signature go here.
Advertisement
google would have answered this for you.

Anyway yes MESA is software only. You need to install a graphics card driver.

If nvidia see this page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

if you have a different brand graphics card than just hit that search button on google ;-)

This is one thing that GNU/Linux and windows have in common, if u want good GL performance u need the latest drivers installed.

As for your desktop switching, this has nothing todo with opengl but go read my first line in this post again.

Sorry to seem harsh but i am getting really sick of people posting questions that could have been answered very quickly and easily using google or more than likely any other search engine.
I've never used Ubuntu, but I'm running a server with Fedora Core 6 and as far as I know it's just a simple matter of going to the package manager, going to the desktop environments menu item, and then unselecting GNOME and selecting KDE. Personally I prefer GNOME though.

I'm very new to OpenGL so I can't help with your other problem, but I hope that advice has helped with the Linux issue.
Giftiger WunschProof that god is imaginary: www.godisimaginary.com
Quote: Original post by vibe3d
i am getting really sick of people posting questions that could have been answered very quickly and easily using google or more than likely any other search engine.

No offence vibe, but 1) You don't have to answer the question, especially not if you're just going to say "google it", and 2) you can spend half an hour trying to google something and then find out that it was the top of the list if you'd changed your query slightly, search engines don't have all the answers and I believe that's the point in the forums.
Giftiger WunschProof that god is imaginary: www.godisimaginary.com
Yes, you can get 3D acceleration with MesaGL. Hardware acceleration of OpenGL in Linux can be achieved by DRI (Direct Rendering Infrastructure).

Here is the list of hardware that DRI supports:
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Status

If you have a ATI/nVidia video card, then, you may get the proprietary driver from their web site.
Not really thinking that you don't have hardware support, but just to check:

Quote:
glxinfo | grep direct

It should return 'yes' if you have hardware support.

If it does return yes for some reason, you must have an unsupported/old card.

FlyingIsFun1217
Sorry to seem harsh but i am getting really sick of people posting questions that could have been answered very quickly and easily using google or more than likely any other search engine.

Looking at your posting history, you're hardly in the position of "getting sick" over these threads, with barely 50 posts on our forums. So please, refrain from posting such comments in the future.
Quote: Original post by Yann L

Looking at your posting history, you're hardly in the position of "getting sick" over these threads, with barely 50 posts on our forums. So please, refrain from posting such comments in the future.

why should i refrain from such comments? If the original poster had spent just a few minutes researching he would have found his answer's very easily and quickly, just like a very large majority of posts i read on here. Just because i don't actively post in every thread does not mean i don't read all of them.

giftiger_wunsch:
did i not answer your question in my post? ...yes i did!!. I merely pointed out you could have found your answers very easily using google.
why should i refrain from such comments?

It's not your job to decide whether a question is 'worthy' to be posted or not. You have to earn the right to make such comments. You earn that right by contributing to this site, helping out people, and giving constructive advice. So, until you reach that point, keep the snappy comments to yourself.

If the original poster had spent just a few minutes researching he would have found his answer's very easily and quickly

This whole deal with Mesa under Linux is a humongous mess. I fully understand that newbies, or even experienced people coming from the Windows world, get confused by that thing. As with many Linux related topics, Google doesn't help a lot here, due to the huge amount of incorrect, misleading and contradictory information and the difficulty of knowing what to search for. I wish they would finally get rid of that library, which is about as useful as Microsofts software renderer, and only helps to make the Linux OpenGL experience harder than it should be.
Thanks for clearing up that Mesa sucks, but what can I do instead of using it? I can't finish developing this project on Windows (it is unbearable having to reinstall the bootloader every time it feels like killing it), so I need to get a hardware renderer.

Edit:
(Junk from erroneous posting deleted)

Ok, so I got a tar.gz file, but it doesn't work right. I run make in the directory with the Makefile, and it gives a bunch of errors. The included readme says I should be able to fix them by editing the makefile, but the makefile is not that simple. What can I do?

[Edited by - Aken H Bosch on December 11, 2007 11:43:01 PM]
Signature go here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement