🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

pptx

Started by
4 comments, last by Sander 16 years, 8 months ago
Is there any way to open .pptx files? (other than "extracting" them and looking at the openxml data). Im not sure why microsoft made yet another new format, what was wrong with the old one, and what's new in this anyway.. Anyway, my teachers (from the school) give me files in this format, so I have to open them in some way
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by attahollander
Im not sure why microsoft made yet another new format, what was wrong with the old one, and what's new in this anyway.. Anyway, my teachers (from the school) give me files in this format, so I have to open them in some way

If the teacher provided you with files in this format, then your school should provide you with the tools to open it and (by extension) convert it to PS or PDF that ghostview can read.

Failing that, you could use your people skills and try to get the teachers to send you the PPS version instead.

Otherwise, just complain that you don't have access to the software to open it, and that you don't have the money to buy it either (judging by the cost of your average Microsoft Windows license). If you're lucky, you might get yourself a Microsoft Office license for free that you can then Wine.
I could open them in Open Office for Ubuntu (the default instalation 7.1). (Not in windows, I had to install service pack 4 among other big files. Not sure why I would need all that, just for a program to open a file)
Something happend to the colors, but I couldn't care less if the background was green, red or blue.

I can convert them to pdf or ps and upload them somewhere now (Im not the only linux user in my class)
Thanks for help!
Assuming you have a Windows machine, PowerPoint Viewer 2007.

Which is, incidentally, the first link returned by Google when I typed "pptx viewer" (without the quotes).

Quote: (Not in windows, I had to install service pack 4 among other big files. Not sure why I would need all that, just for a program to open a file)
Probably because the file reader is using a recent version of the msxml.dll XML parser, which is installed with this service pack.

HTH,
Quote: Original post by attahollander
Im not sure why microsoft made yet another new format, what was wrong with the old one, and what's new in this anyway.

I don't really know, but I have noticed that if you save as .pptx and .ppt, the pptx file will be noticeably smaller. They must have some aggressive compression going on.
Quote: Original post by Simian Man
They must have some aggressive compression going on.

Yeah. It's called "zipped XML" [grin]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement