🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4E6] Has anyone ever submitted an AJAX game?

Started by
10 comments, last by superpig 16 years, 8 months ago
Has anyone ever submitted a web based game to Four Elements? How'd you do it? [Edited by - nathandelane on October 19, 2007 10:10:56 AM]
Advertisement
I know from the previous competitions that web access is not allowed to be *required* to run your entry. So to run an ajax entry (if you really are talking about ajax as in wrapping up calls from browser client to server... rather then just a &#106avascript game) then I'm guess you would have to automate a webserver installation - and run that webserver and close it down again when you execute the game.<br><br>I doubt it is really worth that effort?
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
I read through the rules very carefully and didn't see any information pertaining to web based entries (either for or against) - that's why I'm wondering. The minimum requirements mentioned Firefox 2 and IE 7, but nothing about web servers :( I agree that would be ridiculously painful, but a web based game could be a much quicker make, and blow other entries out of the water - I'm NOT saying it would win.. but I suppose that it could win!
As long as they can run your game without having to go online...
Doesn't rule 18 seem to invalidate this argument:

"18. Multiplayer games are permitted; multiplayer-only games are also permitted. If a game operates using a central server, the server software must be submitted to the judges so that they can ensure that it is not changed for the duration of the judging period. The server software must thus either run on the platforms given by the minimum specification, or be submitted in the form of a VMWare Virtual Machine. If you do not wish your server software to be released as a part of your entry, contact the contest manager to arrange separate submission."

?
Hmm, interesting, I guess I didn't make much sense of that rule when I was reading through it. So my idea doesn't use a central server, rather it just uses MySQL, PHP, XHTML, CSS, and &#106avascript. I could easily submit all of the code needed to install everything, or a complete installer or both probably - I could even generate a VMWare image. So would that then qualify under these conditions? I'm guessing that nobody has really ever submitted an AJAX or &#106avascript game to this contest, right!?
I do believe the rules have changed this time.
AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
Quote: Original post by nathandelane
I could easily submit all of the code needed to install everything, or a complete installer or both probably - I could even generate a VMWare image. So would that then qualify under these conditions?

Yes, the point against you hosting the server yourself is that you *could* change the code, remove bugs etc, between the end date and the judging, which would be unfair to people who do submit their entry.
Exactly.

If you install mySQL, PHP, etc etc etc all into a VMWare machine and submit that as your game's "dedicated server," that'd be fine.

Running the game in a web browser is quite OK. You could submit something that runs entirely clientside (i.e. &#106avascript powered) without the central server if you wanted - you'd still need to ensure that the user experience is good though (e.g. installer and start menu shortcut, versus trying to find an index.html file in a folder somewhere).

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

If you want it to run entirely client-side, installing database management systems might be too much. You might consider a more lightweight solution like SQLite, or use flat files. Flat files are not very good for handling requests from multiple machines at once, but from a single computer it will do just fine.
Electronic Meteor - My experiences with XNA and game development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement