🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

[4E6] Prizes

Started by
6 comments, last by Spoonbender 16 years, 8 months ago
I've noticed we only have gdnet descriptions this year, compared to everything that was up for grabs last year. Is superpig still in the process of getting more prizes or is that it?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by brandonman
I've noticed we only have gdnet descriptions this year, compared to everything that was up for grabs last year. Is superpig still in the process of getting more prizes or is that it?

I believe Superpig is working on it. Patience! There are still over 5 months before the end of the contest!
Ok, I was pretty sure there were more coming, just checking.
Well, I know I sent an email about the cross-platform prize suggestion earlier, just haven't gotten a response yet on that.
Quote: Original post by dmoonfire
Well, I know I sent an email about the cross-platform prize suggestion earlier, just haven't gotten a response yet on that.

Sounds like a good idea in theory, but most likely quite a few of the entires will work on just about anything (Python, Java, etc.), so it would be a pain in the ass to judge.
Quote: Original post by Liam M
Quote: Original post by dmoonfire

Sounds like a good idea in theory, but most likely quite a few of the entires will work on just about anything (Python, Java, etc.), so it would be a pain in the ass to judge.

Maybe, but it sounds like we have the platforms to test the theory (Windows, Linux, Mac). Also, in that conversation a month or so back, superpig said that they wouldn't give bonus points for being cross-platform (which is perfectly acceptable) and someone else suggested that if we (the people for it) thought it was important, then pony up a prize. In the following explosion of silence, oh wait, I don't need four elements in a response :), someone else mentioned that they would be willing to put up some money and I chimed in.

Now that the contest started, I still feel that cross-platform is important, so I'm perfectly willing to put my money where my fingers were (hrm, doesn't sound as impressive as mouth). The only problem I have is, what would be interesting for a cross-platform prize? Besides raw cash, of course.

As for figuring out the prize, its actually pretty easy. Just take the highest Z rated games that run at least minimally on all three platforms and hand out prizes for them. I don't care if they are Python, C#, or assembler. Matters not if they are web based games or installed via mechanically telepathy. I want to encourage games that run on those three platforms. :)
If you're willing to do the extra work for a cross-platform game, that's totally awesome, but I think the current system works just fine.
Quote: Original post by brandonman

Last year started out with only one, maybe two prizes too, so it's nothing unusual.

Of course, one of the reasons for starting this year's contest so late was that it'd give them time to find sponsors before the competition started. Looks like that didn't work out [wink]

But I wouldn't be worried. There's half a year left, after all, and if past years are anything to go by, they'll get hold of plenty of prizes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement