🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

temporary power supply fix for graphics card, and my new sound card is too small

Started by
-1 comments, last by freeworld 16 years, 10 months ago
two questions, I thought I had enough power to supply my new graphics card a GeForce 7600GS.(though i didn't and still don't know the exact wattage of my current PSU), so it could be a case of ignorance on my part. But I plugged it in and the setup warned me that it didnt have enough power so it auto set the settings to the minimum. Well I'm gonna order a new PSU, but it probably wont arrive till next friday (I live on an island without much time to get off and shop), so I was curious is the annother way to suppliment power to it for now, i though I read somwhere that you can hook it to an auxillary on the motherboard to draw more from the PSU. But if the setup warned me, would this mean I wouldn't have enough power anyways. Or could I just unhook my USB and other Card readers to allow more power?(there like 6 USB ports and I only use one for my keyboard and after the card reader ruined one of my cameras memory cards I've never used them again)Or even would going into the bios to turn off the onboard graphics card (if I havn't already) reduce the power used? I'd really like to use it now, but im stuck with my old 5200 till the new PSU arrives. The other is about a new Soundcard I bought, the bracket on the back of it, the part that has all the outputs to plug in the speakers or microphones... is to short or skinny depending on how you look at it. the "L" shaped bracket, when it sits flush, the PCI part that should go into the PCI slot doesnt even come close to reaching it, its off by like and inch. I've though about just bending it so i can slide it in... I know thats a big no no. so should i send it back, or is this standard? my graphics card fit just fine?
[ dev journal ]
[ current projects' videos ]
[ Zolo Project ]
I'm not mean, I just like to get to the point.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement