Advertisement

Need suggestions for a camera (sub $150)

Started by August 20, 2007 05:20 AM
7 comments, last by Promit 17 years, 1 month ago
I'm in the market for a digital camera. I have three requirements: * The price must be less than or equal to $150. I will not stretch on this unless there's a damn good reason. * It must use some variant of SD for its storage. Sony is right out. * It must be silver and/or black. So I'd like to know what are the best cameras to go with that meet these criteria. The review sites seem to mostly look at the more expensive stuff, so I've been unable to find out too much about the low end equipment.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Bump?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
I have a Nikon Coolpix 3200. It's a few years old, and was about $250 then. It's not high-end, but it has served me reliably for years. If I were to buy a new camera, I'd check out whatever the updated version was first, I think. So perhaps look for something in that model line but a few years older -- old enough to drop into your range -- and you might find something satisfactory.
Not sure how much they are in the 'states, but a Canon PowerShot A530 or similar model is a decent camera. It has some noise at higher ISO settings, but is still able to take some pretty good pictures. You might be able to find one for $150 on severe discount somewhere.
Cannon's Powershot line is very nice for a basic camera, but they really can't hold up against professional gear. (however, a lot of people have said they liked the photos I took at a wedding more than most the paid photographer took)

But I'm not sure what the newer ones use for memory, mine uses CF but I guess newer ones could have switched.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote: Original post by Talroth
Cannon's Powershot line is very nice for a basic camera, but they really can't hold up against professional gear. (however, a lot of people have said they liked the photos I took at a wedding more than most the paid photographer took)

But I'm not sure what the newer ones use for memory, mine uses CF but I guess newer ones could have switched.

Of course a $150 camera isn't going to match up against professional gear!

Mine uses an SD card. I think all the newer PowerShots use SD Cards (although I could be wrong).

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Promit
The review sites seem to mostly look at the more expensive stuff, so I've been unable to find out too much about the low end equipment.

Did you check newegg?
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
Newegg has a great combo deal I have been checking out:

Canon PowerShot 7.1MP Camera with 4X Zoom
Battery & Charger
25-in-1 USB Card Reader
Digital Camera Tripod
1GB SD Card
Cleaning kit
Black case

All for 183.96, plus 7.14 shipping, bringing the total to:

$191.10

That's a little higher than your 150, but it comes with a bunch of stuff that you would probably need anyways.

EDIT: Almost forgot the linky.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
Quote: Original post by think_different
Quote: Original post by Promit
The review sites seem to mostly look at the more expensive stuff, so I've been unable to find out too much about the low end equipment.

Did you check newegg?
I consider most user reviews to be completely worthless, unless they talk about the product being horrible in some serious way.

So it looks like the Powershot series are fairly popular, then. I'll have to take a closer look at them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement