Advertisement

Formatting a new hard drive...

Started by July 30, 2007 10:30 PM
1 comment, last by Moe 17 years, 2 months ago
I just want to make sure that I am formatting my new drive correctly. I just bought a 320 GB Seagate Barracuda drive (which is absolutely silent, might I add), and I want to make sure what I am doing is right. I currently have a 160 GB drive partitioned into two (C: and D:), and Windows is installed on C:\. I was planning on backing the data up from the 160 GB drive (anything I want to keep from C: and D:) onto the 320 GB drive, then reformat the 160 into a single partition and put Windows back on. Right now I am formatting the 320 GB drive before I put any data onto it, and I want to make sure I am doing this right. I created one 320 GB primary partition - H: (E: and F: are my optical drives, and G: my card reader). Now once it's done formatting I should be able to copy my stuff onto it, then reformat my 160 GB drive into a single drive (only one partition). Now - here comes a bit of a question. After I have formatted the 320 GB drive (H:), and after I get C: and D: reformatted into one drive (C:), is it possible to rename "H:\" from "H:\" to "D:\"? EDIT: Yes, I discovered it is possible to reassign drive letters. I would like both my hard drives to be in order, then my optical drives and then the card reader. I just want to make sure that I don't screw anything up. I dont' feel like losing a lot of data. I already had that happen once when my hard drive died a year and a half ago. Needless to say it wasn't fun. So is there anything that I need to be worried about while doing this? [Edited by - Moe on July 31, 2007 10:12:34 AM]
Yes its possible.Right click my computer and click manage.then go to disk management.You can change the drive letter by right clicking your drives etc.
hope that helps.
Advertisement
I guess I just want to make sure that I did the right thing in creating the new drive as a primary partition, rather than a logical partition.

EDIT: Yup, it looks like I did things right. Everything is working like a charm!

[Edited by - Moe on August 1, 2007 12:12:49 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement