🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

a slew of questions!

Started by
9 comments, last by mastersmith 16 years, 11 months ago
because of my inability to search these things on a site called Google. I have come here to annoy you with my newb questions. I recently had to install Ubuntu, because Microsoft locked my computer (god damn them for there stupid cd key validation crap). So I guess I have two questions regarding this. 1 can I still develop windows/use windows ide's on Linux? and if not are there alternatives? I also have a question of, why Ubuntu won't give me permission to access my windows partition. My other newbish question is, were can I get my hands on a good Opengl tutorial based on Glut (because I hate the Windows API). and finally (not really a question) I would like to thank everyone who has helped me on this site to get me to were I am now. it has been a long time since I first logged on her to discover what programming was. so thanx ps: oh yes and feel free to bash me on my horrible grammar skills.
Advertisement
1. You won't necessarily be able run your Windows IDE on Linux. You could try it with Wine but i recommend getting stuck into either emacs, a text editor with gcc on the command line or CodeBlocks. Eclipse my do the job to.

2. For the NTFS drive there is a program called ntfsmount i think, it does exactly what the name suggests.
Quote: Original post by mastersmith
I recently had to install Ubuntu, because Microsoft locked my computer (god damn them for there stupid cd key validation crap). So I guess I have two questions regarding this. 1 can I still develop windows/use windows ide's on Linux?

Depends on the IDE. There's Linux ports for some (like Code::Blocks), and some others might run through Wine (the Windows Emulator). If you're looking to get MSVS running at full steam, you might be a little disappointed.

Personally, I tried to dev on Ubuntu and hated it. I spent a while looking for a good full featured IDE that would compare to MSVS and didn't find anything near it. Checking the Ubuntu forums, I found a thread entitled something like "What's your favorite IDE?". The thread went something like "vi vi vim vi emacs vi eclipse gedit vi vim vi vi vim nano vi kdevelop vim" at which point I decided that LOL it wasn't worth it. (EDIT: Found the thread. I'm going to go slit my wrists and cut out my eyes now. Silly Linux "developers" and their "IDEs". "But I configured vim with a ^Cfh build macro!!!")

Quote: I also have a question of, why Ubuntu won't give me permission to access my windows partition.

Probably because your Windows partition is an NTFS partition, which Ubuntu doesn't natively support. I highly recommend installing ntfs-3g, which is a recent stable (on both read and write) NTFS driver for Ubuntu.

etc, someone will probably answer your questions in more detail. I'm too attached to my beloved Windows to offer more thorough advice.
thanx for the advice so far, I did install ntfs-g3 and got everything working it just restricts me from accessing the folder. and yeah so far linux editing sucks, although I like the whole idea of packages and just getting them by typing it in the terminal
Moved to Linux forum.

because Microsoft locked my computer (god damn them for there stupid cd key validation crap).

Please explain.
I wanted to reformat my pc (or repair the windows files) and when it got time to enter my original cd key it didn't work. so yeah
I wanted to reformat my pc (or repair the windows files) and when it got time to enter my original cd key it didn't work. so yeah

No reason to install Linux just for that. Give MS customer support a call, they'll be happy to sort this out in a few minutes, assuming your Windows copy is legit.
Define "didn't work.
and I assure you it does work, it worked on sp1 and sp2 but for some reason it got screwy with the general advantage program. maybe contacting ms will be a good idea

but now I feel like I waisted 24 hours trying to get fricken Ubuntu to work, any suggestions with the opengl stuff?
Dual boot?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement