Should I get this laptop?

Started by
3 comments, last by 91chris91 17 years, 2 months ago
I have decided that it is time for me to get a laptop, but I have a major problem. I can buy anything up to $2500, and I need it to have relatively high end graphics capabilities (so I can use most of the new graphics goodies coming out) and C++ developer friendly. So far, no problem. The problem is that I am not allowed to order anything online, so I have to rely on local retail stores in Brampton. The main (reputable) ones are The Source, Best Buy, and Future Shop. All these stores focus more on mainstream laptops (around $1000 with Intel GMA graphics) than on high end, gaming laptops. Also, even the decent laptops in these stores are for an unreasonably high price. For about $2500, I could order a Dell XPS which is potentially the best gaming laptop in the market. For the same price, I can get a bloated, crappy mainstream laptop in the retail stores mentioned above. Clearly, these stores are ripping me off. But I have no choice. Looking at the above factors, here is my current choice. I can't find any reviews for this laptop, since DV9330 barely turns up results on google, and am quite concerned with the relatively small 2MB L2 Cache. Should I be concerned about this, and would you guys say that this is a good deal in general? If not, any suggestions? P.S. The only gaming laptop I found was in The Source, the Asus G1. Not surprisingly, it is out of stock in every store in Brampton, and every store in nearby Toronto.
Advertisement
You're thinking about spending a LOT of money. This means you really should make as wise investment as possible.

You're probably not going to buy another computer for a few years after this. So you're going to want to buy something that's still high-end more than a few months after you grab it.

If you're thinking of spending this much money, you really want to get the biggest bang for your buck. Spending it on something that you don't really want is just stupid.

Find a way to buy it on-line if that's the only way you really get what you want. Find a friend to buy it and pay him. There's got to be a solution.
I'd advise you to go to the forums at notebookreview.com and look at the section where you can request suggestions. The ASUS is really a great machine, worth waiting to try and get a hold of one. You need to look at what features you want aside of processor, GPU, RAM and HD and then find matching machines that have those features with the power you need. I feel bad for you that you can't order online, if it's purely because you don't have a credit card, there are ways around this. The 8800M cards are comming soon, and will likely be with in your budget on some machines but I can't see you finding them in stores.
I agree notebookreview.com is a very good place to go to research possible choices. 2MB L2 cache is not small, it is actually relatively average. In any case an HP is probably your best bet in terms of the mainstream brands, and ASUS is also known for very good machines. (Just, please, don't get a Dell>
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
my friend has that same laptop but i don't think he paid that much for it(4-6 months ago), it's nice it plays most games at decent settings, i would not get it laptops $500 dollars cheaper have Intel Core 2 Duo processors.

You can call dell(or what ever company) if you can't order stuff online.(you might be able to send a check or money order to)

If you don't have a credit card you can open a checking account at a bank and get a check Card (VISA or something)

I know for a fact that you can print out a order form from newegg.com and a mail a check or money order to them.(the should have better deal then bestbuy).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement