Good Laptop for programmers?

Started by
3 comments, last by MetaKnight 17 years, 3 months ago
I'd like to know what is a good laptop for programmers? I'm constantly running back and forth to places with my laptop from team members homes, to school, to parents, etc... And I have a 2 yr old Gateway right now that is outdated since Vista is out. I'd like to have just enough power to really do some really serious programming, I only program with Java, and C++ using SDL of course and don't do any real serious 3D stuff yet, but might try it. My price range is cheap as I can get it but not paying for something that will barely run it.
BanhMinds!
Advertisement
Moved to Hardware Discussion.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I like my Macbook Pro, and a lot of other people I know are using Macbooks. If you're a university student or know one, you can get a 30% developer discount with an ADC Student membership, or a 4-15% student discount without.

I dual-boot with XP, though I rarely use it these days. If you're going for 3D stuff, there's no question that you have to go for the Pro model.
I suggest a thinkpad (formerly IBM, currently Lenovo). They are extremely good productivity machines (mine is a thinkpad Z60m). Not the most powerful, but the keyboard and other system functions easily make up for that. (my thinkpad's keyboard is better than most full-scale separate keyboards that I've seen.)
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
I would say to get the Best Dell Laptop that is not an XPS(they are overpriced)
Or try http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Both have really powerful laptops for under $1000

but that's if you want a good video card and little features

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement